Elsewhere – ‘Imeem’ opens to compete with ‘Facebook’ at Indiana U.

(U-WIRE) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Move over, Thefacebook. Step aside, LiveJournal. Take a hike, Webshots.

Imeem has officially arrived at Indiana University.

Imeem combines a variety of features already popular through separate Web sites into one download. These include networking, journals, photo albums and chat.

Ted Malone, the vice president of marketing for imeem, said imeem released its software Friday to those with an “@indiana.edu” e-mail account.

Malone and his team visited colleges around the country in early December looking for the right colleges at which to start imeem’s base. The team chose nine colleges as its trial schools -Arizona State, IU, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Texas, Texas A&M and Western Michigan.

Malone said imeem, which is a Spyware-free program still in its initial stages, is more appealing than a site like TheFacebook because it combines popular Internet features into one place.

“It’s good because we have this journal feature, photo feature, a safe file-sharing feature and an (instant message) feature,” he said. “It’s sort of a one-stop-shop for all of those things. That’s sort of a fun feature of it.”

The imeem team of 13 full-time employees based in Palo Alto, Calif. has been working on its creation for about a year, Malone said.

Imeem is a venture-backed start-up business, which means a larger company, Morgenthaler Ventures, invested funds to help imeem get on its feet.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...