Elsewhere – ‘Imeem’ opens to compete with ‘Facebook’ at Indiana U.

(U-WIRE) BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Move over, Thefacebook. Step aside, LiveJournal. Take a hike, Webshots.

Imeem has officially arrived at Indiana University.

Imeem combines a variety of features already popular through separate Web sites into one download. These include networking, journals, photo albums and chat.

Ted Malone, the vice president of marketing for imeem, said imeem released its software Friday to those with an “@indiana.edu” e-mail account.

Malone and his team visited colleges around the country in early December looking for the right colleges at which to start imeem’s base. The team chose nine colleges as its trial schools -Arizona State, IU, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Texas, Texas A&M and Western Michigan.

Malone said imeem, which is a Spyware-free program still in its initial stages, is more appealing than a site like TheFacebook because it combines popular Internet features into one place.

“It’s good because we have this journal feature, photo feature, a safe file-sharing feature and an (instant message) feature,” he said. “It’s sort of a one-stop-shop for all of those things. That’s sort of a fun feature of it.”

The imeem team of 13 full-time employees based in Palo Alto, Calif. has been working on its creation for about a year, Malone said.

Imeem is a venture-backed start-up business, which means a larger company, Morgenthaler Ventures, invested funds to help imeem get on its feet.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...