The Hurricane sits down with Megan Bradley

The Hurricane’s Chris Hamilton sat down with UM tennis player Megan Bradley. Bradley, a senior, is currently ranked No. 2 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll.

The Hurricane: What was it like when you won the Indoor Championship last semester?

Megan Bradley: It was a great feeling. Just to know that I won a National Championship is pretty amazing.

TH: Was there ever a time when you thought about quitting tennis?

MB: Oh, yeah. Especially when I was little.

TH: Have you ever considered starting your own fashion line like Venus and Serena [Williams]?

MB: I don’t think so. I can’t even get my own clothes to match, let alone subject other people to wear it.

TH: You went to school, UCLA and now Miami. Which city has the better nightlife?

MB: I would have to say L.A. Sunset Strip is much more accessible. South Beach is nice, but not quite the same.

TH: Do you think tennis has a steroid problem?

MB: No, although when I see Serena I tend to think so. You don’t need to be really big and strong in tennis. Endurance is much more important.

TH: What would happen if the best pro women’s players played the worst men’s pro player?

MB: The man would win. They serve a lot faster and the game is quicker.

TH: How fast do you serve?

MB: I’m not really sure. Probably in the 110 to 115 m.p.h. range.

TH: Which (tennis) balls do you prefer?

MB: Wilson. They’re a lot heavier.

TH: Do tennis shirts have a secret compartment to store extra balls or where do they come from?

MB: [Laughs] Everyone asks that. We have spandex under our skirts, and we usually just stick them up there. It’s not like the balls appear like magic or anything.

TH: Can you spell Kournikova?

MB: K-O-U-R-N-I-K-O-V-A

TH: Which is a better feeling, serving an ace or acing a test?

MB: Serving an ace because you’re doing it to someone else. You can’t really go up to a teacher and be like, “Hey! I aced your test.”

TH: What is the best tennis movie of all time?

MB: Umm…I can’t really think of any. Do they even make any tennis movies?

TH: Have you ever been in a match you knew you had no chance of winning?

MB: No.

TH: Never?

MB: Well, if I was playing Serena I would have some dose of reality.

TH: Would you rather play a three-set marathon or breeze past your opponent?

MB: Breeze past my opponent. When you play 25 matches a season, you just want to get off the court as fast as possible.

TH: What’s the deal with the noises women make when they hit the ball?

MB: [Laughs] It’s an exhale. When you swing back and hit the ball, you kind of make a grunting noise.

TH: Do you make any noises?

MB: Yeah, I do. I don’t know if some girls practice it, but some can get pretty loud.

TH: What’s one good reason to watch women’s tennis?

MB: We wear short skirts. At least that’s what I tell the boys.

Chris Hamilton can be reached at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...