The Hurricane sits down with Megan Bradley

The Hurricane’s Chris Hamilton sat down with UM tennis player Megan Bradley. Bradley, a senior, is currently ranked No. 2 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll.

The Hurricane: What was it like when you won the Indoor Championship last semester?

Megan Bradley: It was a great feeling. Just to know that I won a National Championship is pretty amazing.

TH: Was there ever a time when you thought about quitting tennis?

MB: Oh, yeah. Especially when I was little.

TH: Have you ever considered starting your own fashion line like Venus and Serena [Williams]?

MB: I don’t think so. I can’t even get my own clothes to match, let alone subject other people to wear it.

TH: You went to school, UCLA and now Miami. Which city has the better nightlife?

MB: I would have to say L.A. Sunset Strip is much more accessible. South Beach is nice, but not quite the same.

TH: Do you think tennis has a steroid problem?

MB: No, although when I see Serena I tend to think so. You don’t need to be really big and strong in tennis. Endurance is much more important.

TH: What would happen if the best pro women’s players played the worst men’s pro player?

MB: The man would win. They serve a lot faster and the game is quicker.

TH: How fast do you serve?

MB: I’m not really sure. Probably in the 110 to 115 m.p.h. range.

TH: Which (tennis) balls do you prefer?

MB: Wilson. They’re a lot heavier.

TH: Do tennis shirts have a secret compartment to store extra balls or where do they come from?

MB: [Laughs] Everyone asks that. We have spandex under our skirts, and we usually just stick them up there. It’s not like the balls appear like magic or anything.

TH: Can you spell Kournikova?

TH: Which is a better feeling, serving an ace or acing a test?

MB: Serving an ace because you’re doing it to someone else. You can’t really go up to a teacher and be like, “Hey! I aced your test.”

TH: What is the best tennis movie of all time?

MB: Umm…I can’t really think of any. Do they even make any tennis movies?

TH: Have you ever been in a match you knew you had no chance of winning?

MB: No.

TH: Never?

MB: Well, if I was playing Serena I would have some dose of reality.

TH: Would you rather play a three-set marathon or breeze past your opponent?

MB: Breeze past my opponent. When you play 25 matches a season, you just want to get off the court as fast as possible.

TH: What’s the deal with the noises women make when they hit the ball?

MB: [Laughs] It’s an exhale. When you swing back and hit the ball, you kind of make a grunting noise.

TH: Do you make any noises?

MB: Yeah, I do. I don’t know if some girls practice it, but some can get pretty loud.

TH: What’s one good reason to watch women’s tennis?

MB: We wear short skirts. At least that’s what I tell the boys.

Chris Hamilton can be reached at

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...