LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: “Luxurious parties vs. end to world hunger,” 1/25

I am writing in response to the editorial in the Tuesday, Jan. 25 issue of The Hurricane. The entire article is disgusting. What use is it to anyone to read about how Trump or the Bushes could have done something else with the money that was spent on their wedding/inauguration? You could have given us information on how to help world hunger, or even done something about it yourself, yet you chose to do nothing but tear down what other people built for themselves. Donald Trump didn’t ask you, or any of those millions of starving children, for advice on how to make one cent of his fortune. What in the world makes you think that your opinion on what he should do with it now is anything but an exercise in futility?

Selfishness and greed are what keep people from being stuck in the situation they are in and in the end make you write that editorial. Without any action behind that expression of perceived self-worth, everyone would be left on the side asking for a handout. Both Bush and Trump believed they deserved what they got and made sure they got it in the end. If you believe providing for oneself is less noble than providing for others, that is your own choice-and no doubt a common one. What it definitely will never be less noble than is what you only seem capable of, and that is destroying others out of envy.

Why don’t you do a charity drive, or donate, or give free advertisement space for tsunami aid relief or any of the many world hunger-combating agencies? Wouldn’t that be actually productive? What benefit to anyone, outside of fueling spite, does criticizing the way people choose to spend their own possessions? Obviously there are people everywhere that can be judged as depraved in all walks of life, but please stop wasting energy pointing fingers and do something about what you see wrong in the world

Michael Lorenzo

Student

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...