AS I SEE IT

One of the main arguments liberals used over the last four years was that the 2000 Electoral College victory of George W. Bush was all the more egregious because Al Gore won the popular vote by 500,000 votes. It has been said that because of this, the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Bush v. Gore was in contravention of the people’s will.

Before the ink was even dry on the printing presses across America on Nov. 3, 2004, ardent Bush-haters were claiming that the vote in Ohio was racked with fraud. Right from the mouth of the Democrats’ new spiritual Ayatollah Michael Moore, to the darkest reaches of the bluest of blue states, it was even being said that Sen. John Kerry really won the vote in Ohio, and he should be President-elect. Nowhere was there any talk about how a reverse of the Ohio vote would have been in contrast to the will of the electorate. Nowhere was there a respectful recognition by liberals that Bush won-legitimately won -the popular vote in 2004, and not by some statistically insignificant half a million votes either, but by nearly four million, a number nearly eight times larger than Al Gore’s popular vote margin.

Now, one doesn’t have to be a vegan atheist named Bill to understand we’re witnessing a display of the boundless hypocrisy ardent liberals have elevated to an art form. This peculiarity is even more evident when examining liberal blathering concerning how “divided” America is supposed to be. We saw this prominently when Democrat members of congress led by California Sen. Barbara Boxer decided to practice a more conciliatory tone by challenging the results of the 2004 election. Not even Kerry wanted to do that, and it was his defeat at the center of it. If the losing candidate doesn’t want to challenge an election, the motivations of those that do can hardly be a mystery.

Judging by the Democrats well-publicized desire to confront everything that President Bush is planning on doing over the next four years, you all need to drop this pretense that you give a rat’s ass about whether the country is unified or not. One thing that I’ve learned in my decade plus involvement in politics is that with very few exceptions, Democrats are just not to be trusted. So next time you feel the desire to whine about how divided the country is, know that the cause is no further than the next mirror. And while you’re at it, take some advice from John Kerry’s unstable concubine and “shove it.”

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...