AS I SEE IT

One of the main arguments liberals used over the last four years was that the 2000 Electoral College victory of George W. Bush was all the more egregious because Al Gore won the popular vote by 500,000 votes. It has been said that because of this, the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Bush v. Gore was in contravention of the people’s will.

Before the ink was even dry on the printing presses across America on Nov. 3, 2004, ardent Bush-haters were claiming that the vote in Ohio was racked with fraud. Right from the mouth of the Democrats’ new spiritual Ayatollah Michael Moore, to the darkest reaches of the bluest of blue states, it was even being said that Sen. John Kerry really won the vote in Ohio, and he should be President-elect. Nowhere was there any talk about how a reverse of the Ohio vote would have been in contrast to the will of the electorate. Nowhere was there a respectful recognition by liberals that Bush won-legitimately won -the popular vote in 2004, and not by some statistically insignificant half a million votes either, but by nearly four million, a number nearly eight times larger than Al Gore’s popular vote margin.

Now, one doesn’t have to be a vegan atheist named Bill to understand we’re witnessing a display of the boundless hypocrisy ardent liberals have elevated to an art form. This peculiarity is even more evident when examining liberal blathering concerning how “divided” America is supposed to be. We saw this prominently when Democrat members of congress led by California Sen. Barbara Boxer decided to practice a more conciliatory tone by challenging the results of the 2004 election. Not even Kerry wanted to do that, and it was his defeat at the center of it. If the losing candidate doesn’t want to challenge an election, the motivations of those that do can hardly be a mystery.

Judging by the Democrats well-publicized desire to confront everything that President Bush is planning on doing over the next four years, you all need to drop this pretense that you give a rat’s ass about whether the country is unified or not. One thing that I’ve learned in my decade plus involvement in politics is that with very few exceptions, Democrats are just not to be trusted. So next time you feel the desire to whine about how divided the country is, know that the cause is no further than the next mirror. And while you’re at it, take some advice from John Kerry’s unstable concubine and “shove it.”

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...