When it comes, go

By Leigha Taber

Last summer began with 103.5 The Beat and the UM Convocation Center teaming up for The Beat Down, an incredible show featuring Pitbull, T.O.K., Jadakiss, Ja Rule, Ashanti, Fat Joe, the Ying Yang Twins, Trick Daddy and Kanye West, among others. The lineup was amazing, the show even better. It was hard to believe that they could ever have another show that compared. Then, on Dec. 4, Bakapalooza took place-and it was nearly as good as The Beat Down.

Immediately following a certain game against Virginia Tech, depressed students made there way to Bakapalooza, where they were cheered up with performances by Ludacris, Lil Jon, Lil Flip, Lil Scrappy, Ciara, Pitbull and Jackie-O. There were even sights of Fat Joe and the rest of Terror Squad back stage. The audience was into the music and it showed. Some even came prepared with their pimp cups and, of course, lots of bling.

While both of the shows were amazing, few students bothered to go, even though the tickets were reasonably priced and the Convocation Center is an intimate enough venue, where there really isn’t a bad seat. If you’re not going to buy tickets to these quality shows, then don’t complain about having Winnie the Pooh and Bob the Builder dominating the Convocation Center calendar.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.