Beaux Arts Festival keeps campus busy

By Joanna Davila

Happen to notice the dozens of bleach-white tents dotting campus this weekend? Celebrating its 53rd year of art, the Beaux Art Festival took over the greater part of Stanford Drive and the grassy areas surrounding the Lowe and the UC from Friday to Sunday.

The three-day festival occurs every year in the beginning of January, giving local and regional artists a chance to display their works for the public.

Supporting a wide variety of artists, the festival had works that ranged in scope from jewelry to paintings to metal-works. A few tents even had handmade jackets, woven baskets and neatly crafted leather goods.

Despite the rain and mud, the various artists each had tents full of their artistic works, attending to the throngs of people that flocked to campus. Some showcased beaded or sterling silver jewelry in glass cases while others hung dozens of vivid paintings, containing blindingly bright colors. Although the art show didn’t exactly showcase museum-worthy art pieces, each tent had something fun and interesting to look at albeit actual artistic merit.

Needing no artistic sense at all, the Beaux Arts festival must be commended for its food vendors who lined Stanford Drive with a host of grills, blenders and plastic ware. Starting with the “Greek Tavern” and the fruit smoothie stand, the pungent smell of roasted chicken, saut

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...