Sports: 5 Top Moments

1 Another Comeback for Brock and the Gang

This time, the Hurricanes erased a 17-point second half deficit to beat a formidable Louisville team 41-38. Brock Berlin threw three touchdown passes and led Miami on its game winning drive, which ended with a one-yard Frank Gore touchdown with under a minute left. Devin Hester returned a punt 78 yards to pay dirt to put the Hurricanes ahead 34-31 midway through the fourth quarter, but Louisville came back with a touchdown drive of its own, forcing the ‘Canes to come through with one more miraculous drive. Head Coach Larry Coker felt the same way he did after the Florida State victory. “A tremendous win,” Coker said. “The guys didn’t flinch. They didn’t give up. Our guys really, really fought to the end.”

2 Hurricanes Outlast Florida State

The football team had to wait an extra four days to play its first ACC game because of Hurricane Frances, but it turned out to be worth the wait, as Miami came back from a 10-point fourth quarter deficit to stun Florida State in overtime 16-10. Frank Gore scored the winning touchdown on an 18-yard run after the defense forced a Chris Rix fumble on the previous possession. The Hurricanes also got some help from a missed field goal, something that has defined this rivalry. Florida State’s Xavier Beitia had a 34-yarder blocked by Devin Hester with 3:58 to play. The kick would have sealed a victory for the Seminoles. Instead, it gave Miami the ball back with a chance to tie the game. “We never got tired; we were hungry all the way to the end,” Head Coach Larry Coker said. “It’s a monumental experience, a game you’ll remember for the rest of your life. It was just a great finish, a great finish.”

3 Bradley wins Indoor Singles Title

Senior Megan Bradley claimed the 2004 ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championship singles title at the University of Michigan Varsity Tennis Center.
Bradley overpowered California’s Suzi Babos 6-2, 6-2, to win the singles championship. With the win, Bradley improves 19-1 this season. She lost just one set in five victories.
“This was the best I’ve played all week,” Bradley said. “I knew I had more experience than her and just focused on making my shots and not getting ahead of myself.”
Cal’s Babos was looking to become the fifth freshman to win the ITA National Indoors. This was her first loss in 14 matches this season

4 King records school’s first triple-double;

Hite and Diaz have career games
After two disappointing losses to South Carolina State and Xavier, the men’s basketball team had a performance to remember Monday night in beating Florida Atlantic 84-68 at the Convocation Center. Sophomore forward Anthony King had the school’s first-ever triple-double with 11 points, 10 rebounds and 13 blocks, an ACC record. King broke a school record with eight blocks in the first half, not letting the Owls get anything accomplished in the low post. Not to be outdone by his teammate, Robert Hite had 38 points, 28 coming in the second half. Sophomore Guillermo Diaz also had his best game as a Hurricane with 27 points, going 11-for-13 from the field.

5 End of an Era for Women’s Volleyball

University of Miami senior outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson became only the second player in Miami history to reach the 1,000 career kills mark when she recorded a match-high 12 kills in the Hurricanes’ 3-0 (30-19, 30-17, 30-19) sweep over visiting South Florida on senior night. The Hurricanes improved to 17-9 overall record while remaining 11-5 in the ACC. The Hurricanes played an emotional match with five seniors: Tyson, Valeria Tipiana, Mallorey James, Jamie Grass and Ashley Youngs, playing in their final home match of their careers. The players are all original members of Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch’s first recruiting class. Together, the quintet has made history for Miami volleyball with an 82-31 overall record in four years.