News Briefs

The American Red Cross of Greater Miami & The Keys and The Institute for Cuban & Cuban-American Studies at the University of Miami are making plans to organize the Planning for the Humanitarian Impact on South Florida In the Event of a Change in Cuba workshops that will prepare interested local non-profit organizations to provide humanitarian aid if political change occurs in Cuba. Learning that Florida did not have a plan to help the Cubans if there was a change, the American Red Cross and UM worked together to come up with one. During the workshops, attendees will divide into groups discuss various issues including providing help for Cubans arriving in South Florida and addressing the concerns South Florida residents with family members in Cuba may have.

“The Institute is pleased to take part in this planning session and to be part of the solution to this growing problem,” said Jaime Suchlicki, Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies director at the University of Miami. “Together with the Red Cross and other non-profit agencies throughout the country we hope to help the Cuban people and this community be prepared,” he added.

For more information about these workshops, call 305-248-2822 or email ctp.iccas@miami.edu.

(U-WIRE) KINGSTON, R.I. – If you ever wanted to know how to fake an orgasm or win a root-beer-pong tournament, the University of Rhode Island Student Entertainment Committee will provide the answers.

The SEC is declaring the next two weeks “Wintercourse” and sponsoring a series of sex-related events. The events start Tuesday with a presentation by nationally recognized author Jennifer Worick. Worick will discuss her “Worse Case Scenario Survival Handbooks,” which offer advice on how to hook up in a library, survive class when hung over and determine the gender of your date.

“It’s the kind of stuff people want to know but they would never ask,” explained secretary and treasurer of the SEC Speakers’ Committee Amma Marfo.

On Thursday, students can hear some “downright dirty” comedy from “Full House” television star Bob Saget.

“Most people think of Bob Saget from his ‘Full House’ days, where he’s clean cut,” Mohanty said. “What’s special about this show is he’s very dirty and it shows a different side of Bob Saget than people normally see.”

Next week, the SEC will hold a root-beer-pong tournament for those who prefer direct involvement in the action.

“It’s similar to the drinking game beer pong. However, [the SEC version]uses root beer,” said Persico, who refused to comment about the sex-themed prizes for the winning teams.

103.5 The Beat’s Bakapalooza, hosted by the Beat’s Morning Drive show hosts, the Baka Boyz, will feature Ludacris, Lil Jon, Jackie-O, Lil Flip, Ciara and Lil Scrappy will happen tomorrow night at the Convocation Center. Also scheduled to perform are Pitbull, Mr. Vegas, Special Ed and Geto Boys. Tickets are on sale through all Ticket Master outlets, UM Convocation Center Box Office or TheBeatMiami.com with ticket prices starting at $15. For more information visit UMConvocationCenter.com.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...