News: 5 Top Moments

1-Debate ’04

Who will ever forget the chaos brought on by celebrity sightings, the media blitz, tight security and parking fiascos associated with the first Presidential Debate of 2004 held at the UM Convocation Center? More importantly, students got to experience history in the making, many even getting the opportunity to attend the Bush vs. Kerry debate.

2-Hurricanes

ne word: Lockdown. Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne devastated the Caribbean and put Florida in a state of prolonged emergency. Students stocked up on everything from bottled water to canned food, going in search of a full tank of gas. Luckily, despite the shutters being up for months, UM and the city of Miami were mostly spared.

3-2004 Elections: The People Decide

seemed the entire semester was building up to the day when the U.S. presidency for the next four years was decided. Students waited in line up to seven hours at the Convocation Center to ensure that their votes would be counted. Despite some minor setbacks, the election ran much smoother than in 2000 to the relief of many Floridians.

4-Dalai Lama Visits UM

A spiritual leader and world visionary for peace, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama addressed the University and spoke on A Human Approach to World Peace to a packed crowd at the Convocation Center.

5-Homecoming ’04: Evolutions

Parades, reunions, ceremonies and competitions marked this exciting week full of school spirit. Alumni and current students came together in celebration of UM’s alma mater, participating in time-honored school traditions, creating new memories while reminiscing the past.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...