CD REVIEWS

A self-titled album with 15 tracks that range in topic, The Futureheads is an indie-rock group that falls into that category with some recent favorites such as The Hives, Jet and Franz Ferdinand. But The Futureheads are making their own stance, despite the fact that the lead singer tends to sound like The Proclaimers, famous for their song “I Would Walk 500 Miles,” specifically on track two, “Robot.” If you’re aching for some pop rock pick up The Futureheads and their self-titled album. The Futureheads could be the next big thing.

Probably inspired by Seth Cohen’s invention of Chrismukkah, the OC Christmas album stays true to the show’s philosophy to support independent music. Artists include Rooney, The Raveonettes, Jimmy Eat World and Ben Kweller. For the more creative, artists such as The Eels, Ron Sexsmith and The Long Winters put their own spin on Christmas caroling. A mix of only nine tracks, the Christmas spirit runs a little short on the CD but it is a pleasant break from the usual “Let It Snow”-that doesn’t apply Orange County or Miami-and “This Christmas” from pop stars who like to belt it out.

A 12-track edition of classic Depeche Mode remixed, the modern twist on classic songs utilized some excellent producers. Using acts such as Underworld, Johny Dollar, Air and Goldfrapp to remake its classic wonders, Depeche Mode is keeping up with the times and making sure that its music isn’t getting lost in the expanding industry. Some of the classic tracks include “Barrel of a Gun,” “Route 66” and “Just Can’t Get Enough.”

>> Other tracks to check out include Vanessa Carlton: “Harmonium,” Simple Plan: “Still Not Getting Any” and The Exies: “Head for the Door.”

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...