Men’s basketball escapes with opening win

After winning both exhibition games, the men’s basketball team secured its first win of the regular season against the Wofford Terriers.

Anthony King opened the scoring with the first basket of the night, which was promptly countered by Wofford’s starting forward Howard Wilkerson. The quick answers to every field goal led to the close scoring patterns of both teams, which stayed within four points of each other throughout most of the first half.

With the score at 10-10 after only the first minute, nonstarters Raymond Hicks and Brandon Okpalobi were brought into the action. Soon thereafter Eric Wilkins and Glenn Batemon saw time as well.

A crowd-pleasing dunk by starting guard Guillermo Diaz, who finished with 13 points, made the score 30-24 in favor of the ‘Canes. Wofford quickly responded with two put back shots and an assist courtesy of guard Greg Taylor followed by Wilkerson’s assist to take a three-point lead. Miami’s guards Robert Hite, who had 12 points, and Antoine Mayhand stepped up to end the half in their favor, combining for five points, giving the Hurricanes a marginal 35-33 lead.

The second half proved to be successful offensively for the ‘Canes, who never fell behind their opponents. However, the defense’s tactics had limited success, permitting the Terriers to closely trail Miami throughout the game.

Finishing the game was an eventful last minute in which neither team scored despite turnovers by Okpalobi and Wilkerson that led to a race against the clock between the ‘Canes’ defense and the Terriers’ offense.

King recorded 19 rebounds during the game, a feat that has not been accomplished since the birth of the UM basketball program. Hamilton contributed eight points and 15 rebounds as well

The 67-64 finish was not only important for the team as they start its first year in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but for ‘Canes new Head Coach Frank Haith.

“It was a win, but we know we still have work to do to become successful in the ACC,” Haith said. “We’re going to build on our offense and address the problems of lack of movement on the courts as well as turnovers.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...