CD REVIEW NONPOINT Recoil

After exploding onto the rock scene with Development, the hard-hitting members of Nonpoint took a year off to coil up their angst and frustration and inject it into the heart of their music. The result, entitled Recoil, finds the band pummeling their way through 13 gut-splitting tracks, sounding heavier, angrier and louder than ever.

But there’s an unfortunate glaring drawback to this CD. Like singer Elias Soriano screams on the opening track, “Things haven’t changed” – a problem that drains the album’s potential because the songs hardly seem to change at all.

That’s not to say there is no potential. From beginning to end, the album is an imploding riot of full-throttle energy. Thrashing through headbangers like “Broken Bones” and “Done It Anyway,” Soriano finds the ultimate forum for his fury against inner demons, politics, and the War in Iraq. On top of that, the blaring instruments and intense vocals elevate Recoil to daunting heights.

But the album rarely shifts from that formula. Despite attempts to keep it fresh with the Spanish-laced metal tune “Rabia” and a decent cover of Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight,” the album spirals into dullness. With Soriano constantly roaring over the songs instead of indulging a bit more in his solid singing voice, Recoil sometimes sounds like one giant circus of feedback. It’s still definitely worth a listen, but not for everyone’s ears.

Rafael Sangiovanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...