RELAX Venetian Pool stays cool daily

Imagine lounging in the sun surrounded by lush palm trees and crystal clear aquamarine water while listening to the soothing sounds of waterfalls in the background; welcome to the locale’s secret Venetian Pool, Miami’s version of paradise.

Located 10 minutes from campus, at the intersection of Granada and De Soto Boulevard, Venetian Pool is a swimming hole formed by a natural coral rock quarry in 1923 and developed by Phineas Paist and Denman Fink, uncle to Coral Gables’ founding father, George Merrick. Venice’s lagoons inspired the pool’s design and the surrounding architecture gives the swimming hole a Mediterranean appeal. The Venetian Pool is included in the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1989, approximately $3.9 million was spent restoring the pool.

Refreshed daily with cool spring water (cool being an understatement for the initial chill factor of the 76 to 78-degree water), it is undoubtedly a nice escape from the hot Miami sun. Featuring a partially submerged cave where visitors can swim and relax under, two waterfalls and a white sand beach, according to its website, VenetianPool.com, “Venetian Pool is truly an oasis of tranquility.”

Admission is $4.25, cash or check only, with ‘Cane Card, and hours vary depending on the season. Make sure to bring towels to lay out on since lounge chairs are sparse.

So when the half-naked bodies on South Beach and the horrible parking begins to get old, Venetian Pool offers a more convenient, relaxing and beautiful option to sun bathers alike.

Bari Lieberman can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...