CD REVIEW SHANGRI-LA IS LIKE A FULL MUSICAL NOVEL

If you’re ever on the road driving for miles on end, be sure to take along Mark Knopfler’s latest release, Shangri-La – if you can bear all of it.

The hour-long album is basically Knopfler’s large collection of short stories about the world, complete with quirky titles like “Whoop De Doo” and “Postcards From Paraguay” and enough lyrics to write a full-blown novel.

With an amazing easygoing feel, the album exudes a kind of wisdom amplified by Knopfler’s less-is-more approach to music. That, in fact, is the album’s best quality – opting for soft instrumental parts and letting Knopfler’s words come to the forefront, where his unique lyrical style creates a mesmerizing ambiance. Songs such as “Boom, Like That,” “5:15 a.m.” and “Don’t Crash The Ambulance” best showcase his ability to write with a poet’s grace and a drummer’s rhythm.

He also tackles an interesting mix of issues, ranging from crime to capitalism to the life of boxer Sonny Liston. Meanwhile, the music’s gentle, country and Western-style flavor is a welcome repose from Knopfler’s dense lyricism.

At 14 tracks, however, the album grows weary, largely because all the songs are structured the same. The rambling lyricism leads to thick, lengthy verses, which would be OK if the songs had more dynamics. So although with Shangri-La, Knopfler’s musical style steps out of the mainstream, it unfortunately clings on to some of its monotony.

Rafael Sangivanni can be contacted at r.sangiovanni@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...