Men’s basketball off to a flying start

A new era of Miami basketball got underway Thursday night at the Convocation Center. New Head Coach Frank Haith led Miami to a 73-55 win over Barry University in the team’s first exhibition game of the season.

Junior Robert Hite led the way for Miami with 20 points and sophomore Guillermo Diaz added 19 of his own. Although Barry University is a Division II school, Haith said he was happy to get some game experience.

“These types of teams are great to play in the exhibition season,” Haith said. “They are much better than playing the all-star teams because this was a real team we played tonight that has played together before.”

The Hurricanes, who have been picked by many to be the doormat of the ACC, are going to need a big man in the middle if they are going to be competitive this season. Sophomore Anthony King showed signs that he might be the guy Haith has been looking for, finishing four-for-five from the field with eight points and five rebounds.

“I thought Anthony King was a bright spot off the bench for us,” Haith said. “He came in and was live in the first half when we needed him to be.”

Point guard is another position Miami will be looking to solidify early this season. Sophomore Anthony Harris got the start and took a step in the right direction towards doing that, totaling 11 points, four assists and possibly most important, only one turnover in 29 minutes.

“I was very happy with the play of Anthony Harris,” Haith said. “If he can give us 11, four and one turnover every night, we’ll be in very good shape.”

Senior William Frisby was a force on the glass as he pulled down 10 rebounds for the Hurricanes. Junior center Gary Hamilton finished with nine points and eight rebounds.

After leading by only four at the break (31-27), Miami pulled away in the second half thanks to Diaz, who scored 13 of his 19 points during the period.

Miami returns to the court Friday for its last exhibition game against Inter-American Puerto Rico at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...