Men’s basketball off to a flying start

A new era of Miami basketball got underway Thursday night at the Convocation Center. New Head Coach Frank Haith led Miami to a 73-55 win over Barry University in the team’s first exhibition game of the season.

Junior Robert Hite led the way for Miami with 20 points and sophomore Guillermo Diaz added 19 of his own. Although Barry University is a Division II school, Haith said he was happy to get some game experience.

“These types of teams are great to play in the exhibition season,” Haith said. “They are much better than playing the all-star teams because this was a real team we played tonight that has played together before.”

The Hurricanes, who have been picked by many to be the doormat of the ACC, are going to need a big man in the middle if they are going to be competitive this season. Sophomore Anthony King showed signs that he might be the guy Haith has been looking for, finishing four-for-five from the field with eight points and five rebounds.

“I thought Anthony King was a bright spot off the bench for us,” Haith said. “He came in and was live in the first half when we needed him to be.”

Point guard is another position Miami will be looking to solidify early this season. Sophomore Anthony Harris got the start and took a step in the right direction towards doing that, totaling 11 points, four assists and possibly most important, only one turnover in 29 minutes.

“I was very happy with the play of Anthony Harris,” Haith said. “If he can give us 11, four and one turnover every night, we’ll be in very good shape.”

Senior William Frisby was a force on the glass as he pulled down 10 rebounds for the Hurricanes. Junior center Gary Hamilton finished with nine points and eight rebounds.

After leading by only four at the break (31-27), Miami pulled away in the second half thanks to Diaz, who scored 13 of his 19 points during the period.

Miami returns to the court Friday for its last exhibition game against Inter-American Puerto Rico at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...