ART REVIEW The science of the surreal

The most surprising thing about “Enrique Chavarria: Journey into the Subconscious” isn’t the surfing demons, the sensual imagery, or the over-the-top natural symbolism; it’s that this exhibition is being held at the Miami Museum of Science. Yes, that Museum of Science, and in the same space that housed last year’s horribly disappointing “City of Wonders.”

Walking into this small gallery is like entering every Myst clone-simultaneously. One frame shows a two-headed snake and flying oxen, and another shows a sensual forest inhabited by some rather frisky woodland sprites. Then, upon closer examination, one can see the natural world interwoven with the fantastic elements to create a colorful and imaginative set of symbols that soar far over the heads of the museum’s pint sized visitors. These symbols range from physical freedom and mental captivity to the interconnectedness of man to his environment.

This exhibit for the most part lives up to the press kit with the included picture being one of the more banal exceptions. The exhibit is actually worth a late afternoon visit since it is located away from the main gallery and has a much quieter, more adult atmosphere conducive to pondering the bizarre and finely layered meaning of it all.

“Enrique Chavarria: Journey into the Subconscious” is on display at the Museum of Science and is co-sponsored by the Miami Consulate General of Mexico. The museum is located at 3280 South Miami Ave. and student admission is $8, but is reduced to $6 after 4 p.m.

>> For more information visit www.miamisci.org or call (305) 646-4200.

Jonathan Twiggar can be contacted at j.twiggar@umiami.edu.

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...