ART REVIEW The science of the surreal

The most surprising thing about “Enrique Chavarria: Journey into the Subconscious” isn’t the surfing demons, the sensual imagery, or the over-the-top natural symbolism; it’s that this exhibition is being held at the Miami Museum of Science. Yes, that Museum of Science, and in the same space that housed last year’s horribly disappointing “City of Wonders.”

Walking into this small gallery is like entering every Myst clone-simultaneously. One frame shows a two-headed snake and flying oxen, and another shows a sensual forest inhabited by some rather frisky woodland sprites. Then, upon closer examination, one can see the natural world interwoven with the fantastic elements to create a colorful and imaginative set of symbols that soar far over the heads of the museum’s pint sized visitors. These symbols range from physical freedom and mental captivity to the interconnectedness of man to his environment.

This exhibit for the most part lives up to the press kit with the included picture being one of the more banal exceptions. The exhibit is actually worth a late afternoon visit since it is located away from the main gallery and has a much quieter, more adult atmosphere conducive to pondering the bizarre and finely layered meaning of it all.

“Enrique Chavarria: Journey into the Subconscious” is on display at the Museum of Science and is co-sponsored by the Miami Consulate General of Mexico. The museum is located at 3280 South Miami Ave. and student admission is $8, but is reduced to $6 after 4 p.m.

>> For more information visit www.miamisci.org or call (305) 646-4200.

Jonathan Twiggar can be contacted at j.twiggar@umiami.edu.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...