LETTER TO THE EDITOR

History and the election

Before you go to the polls today, put history in perspective. Recall the lead up to World War II. Adolf Hitler was elected chancellor of Germany in 1932; immediately he started retooling the German military, subsequently disregarding the Treaty of Versailles. British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain brought Germany to the table for negotiations. Trying to avoid war with Germany, Chamberlain gave into Hitler’s demands. When Chamberlain arrived back in Britain, he proclaimed “peace in our time.” On Sept. 1, 1939, Hitler invaded Poland, and thus started World War II. What if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler? What if he preemptively attacked Hitler after he had broken the Treaty of Versailles? We will never know, but millions of lives may have been spared.
How is this prevalent today? After multiple UN Resolutions, Saddam still wouldn’t comply with treaties. Sound familiar?
How do we know that Saddam was a real threat? He unsuccessfully invaded Kuwait; we knew his ambitions. He used biological weapons on the Kurds. Like Hitler, Saddam had little respect for treaties and resolutions. Like Hitler, Saddam killed his citizens of his own country. Like Hitler, Saddam had intentions to expand his power over other countries. But unlike Chamberlain, George W. Bush was not willing to appease Saddam. Would Saddam have become as dangerous as Hitler? He only needed one dirty bomb to kill thousands of Americans in this new global world.
Peace in our time is impossible. A real threat is prevalent in the world. America does not need another Neville Chamberlain, it needs George W. Bush.

Geoff Yovanovic
Student

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...