LETTER TO THE EDITOR

History and the election

Before you go to the polls today, put history in perspective. Recall the lead up to World War II. Adolf Hitler was elected chancellor of Germany in 1932; immediately he started retooling the German military, subsequently disregarding the Treaty of Versailles. British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain brought Germany to the table for negotiations. Trying to avoid war with Germany, Chamberlain gave into Hitler’s demands. When Chamberlain arrived back in Britain, he proclaimed “peace in our time.” On Sept. 1, 1939, Hitler invaded Poland, and thus started World War II. What if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler? What if he preemptively attacked Hitler after he had broken the Treaty of Versailles? We will never know, but millions of lives may have been spared.
How is this prevalent today? After multiple UN Resolutions, Saddam still wouldn’t comply with treaties. Sound familiar?
How do we know that Saddam was a real threat? He unsuccessfully invaded Kuwait; we knew his ambitions. He used biological weapons on the Kurds. Like Hitler, Saddam had little respect for treaties and resolutions. Like Hitler, Saddam killed his citizens of his own country. Like Hitler, Saddam had intentions to expand his power over other countries. But unlike Chamberlain, George W. Bush was not willing to appease Saddam. Would Saddam have become as dangerous as Hitler? He only needed one dirty bomb to kill thousands of Americans in this new global world.
Peace in our time is impossible. A real threat is prevalent in the world. America does not need another Neville Chamberlain, it needs George W. Bush.

Geoff Yovanovic
Student

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...