LETTER TO THE EDITOR

History and the election

Before you go to the polls today, put history in perspective. Recall the lead up to World War II. Adolf Hitler was elected chancellor of Germany in 1932; immediately he started retooling the German military, subsequently disregarding the Treaty of Versailles. British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain brought Germany to the table for negotiations. Trying to avoid war with Germany, Chamberlain gave into Hitler’s demands. When Chamberlain arrived back in Britain, he proclaimed “peace in our time.” On Sept. 1, 1939, Hitler invaded Poland, and thus started World War II. What if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler? What if he preemptively attacked Hitler after he had broken the Treaty of Versailles? We will never know, but millions of lives may have been spared.
How is this prevalent today? After multiple UN Resolutions, Saddam still wouldn’t comply with treaties. Sound familiar?
How do we know that Saddam was a real threat? He unsuccessfully invaded Kuwait; we knew his ambitions. He used biological weapons on the Kurds. Like Hitler, Saddam had little respect for treaties and resolutions. Like Hitler, Saddam killed his citizens of his own country. Like Hitler, Saddam had intentions to expand his power over other countries. But unlike Chamberlain, George W. Bush was not willing to appease Saddam. Would Saddam have become as dangerous as Hitler? He only needed one dirty bomb to kill thousands of Americans in this new global world.
Peace in our time is impossible. A real threat is prevalent in the world. America does not need another Neville Chamberlain, it needs George W. Bush.

Geoff Yovanovic
Student

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...