Brock Berlin and his gang of misfits have finally coalesced into a dangerous quick-strike offense. Berlin has 11 touchdown passes in the last three games, one less than he threw all of last season. If Berlin keeps it up the home crowd will probably stop booing him.

Darian Durant has two weapons in his holster. He is a dangerous passer and has the ability to scramble when the pocket collapses. Mobile QBs have given the ‘Canes fits in the past. Durant isn’t perfect though, having an eight-to-six TD-to-interception ratio.

Frank Gore and Tyrone Moss’ performances have fallen off a bit, but it may have to do with the newfound passing game. These guys need to break off some big runs to reassert themselves.

The Tar Heels rotate between three different running backs but most of the time they just play the ones that are healthy. Jacque Lewis averages 7.1 yards a carry, but he and Ronnie McGill are both trying to return from injuries. Chad Scott is the third back.

Roscoe Parrish, Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins, Sinorice Moss and the tight ends have all stepped up with the injured Ryan Moore on the bench. They are making the big plays that the coaches knew they could.

Senior Jarwarski Pollock leads the team in catches with 28, but the most dangerous receiver on the team is actually Adarius Bowman, who was suspended indefinitely before the last game. Sophomore Jesse Holley needs to fill the void.

Eric Winston: Lost for the season. Tyler McMeans: Out until further notice. If this list grows any longer the o-line might fall apart. Last week was the first game all season that they gave up zero sacks, and that was against the top defense in the country.

Jason Brown is a big center at 312 pounds and he is also one of the best in the ACC. Brown leads this o-line, which is missing starter Skip Seagraves.

The d-line has not racked up too many sacks this season. No one on the line has more than two, but they are getting pressure on the quarterback. Kareem Brown stepped up last week after Santonio Thomas injured his knee.

There is no star player on this d-line, but freshman Khalif Mitchell made the biggest play of UNC’s season by tackling N.C. State running back T.A. McLendon and stripping the ball with six seconds left to preserve a victory.

Rocky McIntosh leads the team in tackles with 57, but this group has shown its youth in the past couple of games. McIntosh, along with Tavares Gooden and Leon Williams, need to get better at stopping the run.

Fred Sparkman, a sophomore, was suspended indefinitely before the Utah game two weeks ago. Losing the team’s middle linebacker and leading tackler is a big blow and it showed as Utah scored 46 points in that game.

The secondary has looked a little confused as of late, missing assignments and getting beaten for four touchdowns last week. Cornerback Antrel Rolle and safety Greg Threat need to lead this unit and stop allowing big plays.

Senior transfer Gerald Sensabaugh has a big mouth and claims that the UM offense is the simplest his team has seen this year. That is a big statement for someone on the NCAA’s second worst defense.

Opposing teams don’t know where to kick the ball when Devin Hester is on the field. He’s a threat to score every time. Kicker Jon Peattie has hit just two-of-six from beyond 40 yards this season, but the coaches still have confidence in his long range.

Freshman kicker Connor Barth has hit on eight-of-nine field goal attempts this season. Receiver Mike Mason averages 23.6 yards per kick return, but the punt returning has not been great for the Tar Heels.

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...