The Hispanic vote: Welcome to pandering 101

Much the same way that autumn is subtly introduced via the brisk chill in the air and the brown falling of flakey leaves from their branches, a presidential election has its own ushers. Speaking as a Cuban American and not quite sure which part of that distinction is the noun and which is the adjective, I can always tell that a national election is at hand by the ponderous increase in the shameless political ads that blanket the Spanish-language media. Regardless of their respective parties, and often in a piecemeal Spanish that would have made Cervantes opt for a job as a bricklayer, the candidates initiate the hackneyed practice of the anti-Castro rhetoric as well as empty, self-serving gestures.

John Kerry actually rented office space across the street from the Versailles restaurant in hopes of capturing the agora-like essence of the oftentimes-public debates that take place there. It has even been rumored that Kerry, in an abundance of political correctness, is trying to get owner Felipe Vals to effect a menu change. Instead of listing black beans as “frijoles negros,” Kerry is insisting on “frijoles afro-cubanos.” Not to be outdone, George W. Bush has asked his brother Jeb to help him out with Spanish lessons and was reportedly seen trying to place a floral arrangement on the tomb of Celia Cruz. Only the quick thinking of an unidentified Secret Service agent, who informed the president that the beloved Queen of Salsa is in fact buried in New Jersey, prevented a PR embarrassment. On his own initiative, however, Bush cleverly placed the flowers at the grave site of Desi Arnaz.

In response, Kerry has contracted a Latin dance instructor and has entered a conga line group that is scheduled to participate in next year’s Calle Ocho Festival. Bush then declares the Mojito (a Cuban version of a mint julep) as the national beverage, but cautions us all not to drink and drive. Kerry is fitted for a red, white and blue (incidentally, the Cuban national colors) guayabera with the words No Bush, No Problema stitched over the left breast pocket.

If you think this all sounds ridiculous, you should listen to what they are really saying. It’s hard to tell the difference after 40-plus years. The sincerity in U.S. policy towards Cuba died a long time ago, and all that we are likely to get instead is pandering. By the way, did you hear that both Bush and Kerry are promising to participate in the next running of the bulls down Palm Avenue?

Octavio Ramos can be contacted at o.ramos@umiami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...