Let’s Get it Started

The banners are up, the cheers are prepared, and the ‘Canes are ready to dominate the competition; UM is bleeding orange and green. The annual Homecoming festivities begin today with opening ceremonies on the Rock at 7 p.m.

This year’s Homecoming theme is “Evolution.” Decided by the Homecoming Committee last spring, the theme was chosen to display the constant evolving atmosphere at UM.

“The theme represents the evolution of the University of Miami from one time to another,” Jason Starr, Homecoming chair, said. “The committee chose the theme to portray the changes that the University has encountered over the past 78 years of its history.”

“The theme really goes back to what Homecoming should be – a time for alumni to come back to their alma mater and see how things have changed since they left,” Shawna Castells, participation chair, said. “It’s also for students to learn how their school has evolved over time.”

The parade kicks off Hurricane Howl on Friday, Nov. 5. Sebastian the Ibis, the Band of the Hour and the UM Cheerleaders all will be joining the UM Olympic Student Athletes to present the progression of floats made by various organizations and the Greeks.

Following the parade will be the traditional boat burning in the middle of Lake Osceola coupled with fireworks. Following the fireworks, students can head over to the Green to see Grammy winner Wyclef Jean and the Refugee All-Stars for a free concert.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing Wyclef,” Dana Kirkwood, sophomore, said. “The concerts always seem to be really amazing.”

According to Kelly Jackson, king and queen chair, the easiest way to get involved in Homecoming is to “simply show up to all the events.”

“The events will be so much fun; it will be hard not to show your ‘Cane spirit,” Castells said.

Students are getting pumped up for the game and the surrounding Homecoming events, from Hurricane Howl to the Homecoming game between UM and Clemson University.

“I have cleared my whole schedule to make sure I can attend as many events possible,” Diego Perilla, senior, said. “I’m also really excited to be competing for Mr. UM.”

Freshmen are also looking forward to the Homecoming experience.

“It being my first year at UM, I am really energized about the environment the activities will create,” Alexa Lunderman, junior, said. “As a Kappa Kappa Gamma I am thrilled to be competing in the float competition with the Kappa Sigs.”

Starr advises everyone to remember to bring their ‘Cane spirit no matter which event they attend.

“I hope the love will be contagious for our ‘Canes during the week of Homecoming – not for only our students, but the returning alumni, faculty, and surrounding community as well,” Starr said.

>> For more information about Homecoming events, visit www.miami.edu/homecoming.

Meghan Risser can be contacted at m.risser@umiami.ed.

HOMECOMING

Today: Opening Ceremonies, UC 7 p.m.

Nov.1-3: Blood Drive, UC Ballrooms, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Oct. 30: Hurricanes Help the Hometown, UC Patio, 8 a.m.

Nov. 1: Homecoming King and Queen, UC Patio, 7 p.m.

Nov. 3: Organized Cheer, UC Patio, 7 p.m.

Nov. 4: Alma Mater & Spirit Tree Ceremony, UC Rock, 11 a.m.

Nov. 5: Hurricane Howl, UC Patio, 7 p.m.

Nov. 6: 78th Annual Homecoming Game vs. Clemson, Orange Bowl, 7:45 p.m.