LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: “Remembering Superman,” 10/15

Regarding Christopher Reeve, I remember him more as an advocate for spinal cord injury victims than as an actor. In 2001, just prior to the Bush administration’s issuance of restrictions on further federally-funded embryonic stem cell research, Reeve made a memorable appearance on Larry King Live. When asked about banning embryonic stem cell research he said, “That would be a big mistake because you could spend the next five years doing research on the adult stem cells and find that they are not capable of doing what we know that embryonic cells can do now, and five years of unnecessary research to try to create something that we already have would cause – well, a lot of people are going to die while we wait.” A shame greater than “politicizing” Reeve’s death would be to deny that it is a blaring example of the need for more stem cell research.
In a related issue – Lynne Cheney’s angry reaction to John Kerry mentioning her daughter “who is a lesbian” in the third debate – I think that when Kerry made that statement, it seemed clear that Mary Cheney was simply the first homosexual that came to his mind while under the spotlight, and that he meant no offense by bringing her up. Just as is the case with Reeve, Mary is, whether Dick likes it or not, a person in the public eye, and she is thus a prime real-life example of how homosexuals can come from many different backgrounds, including the household of a staunchly conservative politician.

William Hubel
Undergraduate Student

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...