FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK Berlin overcomes injury to shine

Quarterback Brock Berlin added a different twist to his latest heroic comeback. Thursday night against Louisville, the senior was in a lot of pain when he led the Hurricanes to victory.

After taking at least two crisp shots to the upper body, Berlin seemed to get even better as the game went along, especially in the second half. Head Coach Larry Coker said that it was up to Berlin whether or not he was staying in the ballgame. Berlin said there was nothing that would have kept him out.

“I never even considered coming out of the game. I did not want to come out,” Berlin said. “I was hurting pretty bad, but the doctors looked at it at halftime and I was cleared to keep playing.”

What Berlin described as a deep bruise in his collarbone area seemed to be bothering him a lot during the post-game press conference. The fact that he threw for over 300 yards makes it even more special for the Florida transfer.

The Louisville game marked the fifth time Berlin has led the Hurricanes back when trailing in the fourth quarter. In 2003, he came from behind against Florida, West Virginia and Syracuse and so far this season he led the comeback against the Seminoles and Cardinals.

Hester Second on List

With a 78-yard punt return in the fourth quarter, his third of the season, Devin Hester moved into second place on Miami’s all-time single-season list. Hester is now only behind Santana Moss, who had four in 2000.

Hester also recorded 95 kickoff return yards on the night that moved him into seventh place on the Hurricanes all-time list, with 673 for his career. He would have had 103 more when he returned a kickoff for a touchdown, but it was called back because of a holding penalty.

Coker said that he is very impressed with Hester’s play.

“He’s one of the most exciting players I’ve seen in football,” Coker said. “He makes fast players look slow.”

Jenkins Steps Up

Darnell Jenkins stepped into the spotlight as he made his first start as a Hurricane. With Sinorice Moss and Ryan Moore out with injuries, Jenkins knew he had to make big plays.

“It was very important because the coaches and the team got an opportunity to see us young receivers step up,” Jenkins said. “That was a big opportunity because they were rooting us on.”

Jenkins recorded seven catches for 68 yards, including the biggest catch of the game on fourth-and-four with a minute to play.

Notes

Howard Schnellenberger, who led Miami to its first National Championship, was on the sidelines and was interviewed on ESPN…Freshman free safety Anthony Reddick made his first collegiate start in place of Brandon Meriweather…Louisville recorded 507 yards of total offense, which marked the most allowed by the Hurricanes since Oct. 7, 2000, when Florida State had 565 total yards…Miami scored on all six of its drives in the second half (four touchdowns and two field goals)…Berlin tied his career-high with three touchdown passes on the night, a mark which he set against Georgia Tech earlier this season.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...