News Briefs

Several news sources are reporting that there is likely to be a national shortage of flu vaccine this year. According to John G. Clarkson, M.D., senior vice president for Medical Affairs, although the number of vaccine doses UM will receive is still unknown, the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Florida Department of Health will be followed to make sure that people at highest risk receive the vaccine. That group includes people with chronic medical conditions, healthcare workers in direct patient care, adults 65 and older, children six to 23 months, children six months to 18 years on chronic aspirin therapy, pregnant women, and residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities. As it becomes clear how much flu vaccine the state, county and University will receive, it will be determined if the vaccine will be widely available to students, faculty, and staff. As soon as that information becomes available, the University community will be notified.

UM’s Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy [CESP] opened the Politics of the Environment lecture series last Thursday with Carol Browner, former Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] administrator during the Clinton administration, current principal of The Albright Group LLC, and environmental advisor to the Kerry campaign. The goal of this lecture series is to bring to campus a distinguished group of current and former federal environmental policymakers to discuss the issues on environmental policy, from drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to protecting the health of our coral reef ecosystems. Speakers address the voters directly on each candidate’s environmental policies, their current record for protecting the environment and future issues affecting the environment. For more information on upcoming lectures, visit the CESP website, www.cesp.miami.edu, or call 305-284-8259. These lectures are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.

(U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. – Clad only in Husker-red athletic shorts and a foam corncob hat, rocker Tommy Lee sauntered out of the University Bookstore dressing room and gazed at his reflection in a mirror.
“Yeah dude, I’m official,” he said while admiring his lanky frame, a patchwork of tattoos and Husker pride.
Two film crews and a 20-person production team scrambled through hoards of onlookers and flashing cameras Thursday, following the former M

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...