Students cut hair for Locks of Love

Over 30 UM students donated their hair to charity when Locks of Love came to campus this week. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that cuts hair to make wigs for children who have lost their own hair to cancer.

The Locks of Love event was part of Volunteer Awareness Week, which ran through the week and included volunteer information sessions, Volunteer Services Center [VSC] open house, and No Place for Hate Campaign.

“This is a wonderful cause,” said Sandra Torres, whose salon donated the products and volunteered their time to help. “This is our second year and I can see that student interest is growing.”

The students who volunteered to have their hair cut said that while they have never met the children they will be helping, putting a smile on a child’s face is enough reason for them to turn out.

“They do a good job, and I am happy to help,” said Kristine Velarde, a first-year graduate student. “This is a way for me to give back.”

“My hair will grow back,” said Erin Wright, who helped to bring the program to UM. “As long as there is Locks of Love, I’m willing to donate to it.”

–Judith Hudson

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...