NEWS BRIEFS

Campaign Promotes Tolerance, Combats Hate

The Anti-Defamation League [ADL], in cooperation with UM Volunteer and Student Services and various Miami-Dade county community relation organizations, held the No Place for Hate Campaign as part of Volunteer Awareness Week, bringing social causes to the forefront of the campus’ attention.

The kick-off event held at the Rock last Monday was an effort to promote tolerance and bring to light the ever-present problem of prejudice in the United States. The event was highlighted by brief “speak-out” sessions by various prominent figures, including UM President Donna Shalala.

In addition to the kick-off event held Monday, the No Place for Hate Campaign also held various events throughout the week, including a lecture and a screening of American History X Tuesday night. The lecture “Overstepping Boundaries: Hate and its Presence in Society,” was given by Keith Akins, who clandestinely entered the world of a white supremacy group. On Wednesday evening, a student and faculty panel discussion was held on the topic, “Diversity and its Practice in America.” The No Place for Hate Campaign hopes that UM’s cooperation will help in the continued effort promoted by the ADL, being the first university in the area to openly support the cause by endorsing the campaign, living up to it’s reputation of being a campus where diversity is celebrated.

(U-WIRE) MUNCIE, Ind. – When John Schnatter graduated from Ball State University in 1984 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, he began selling pizza out of a broom closet that he knocked down in the back of his father’s bar, Mick’s Lounge. In 1985, Schnatter turned Mick’s Lounge into the first Papa John’s restaurant. Today, he is the president and chief executive officer of the Louisville, Ky.-based Papa John’s International, which owns or franchises more than 3,000 Papa John’s restaurants in 49 states and 15 international markets. The company owns more than 100 Pizza Perfect restaurants in the United Kingdom, as well.

Schnatter will be inducted into the Miller College of Business Hall of Fame at the first Miller College of Business Alumni Awards Dinner. He is one of eight alumni who will be honored at the dinner. The college used to have several award ceremonies throughout the year but decided to combine all of the alumni awards in one evening, said Marc Ransford, media relations manager. Previous inductees into the Hall of Fame include Garfield creator Jim Davis, founder and first president of Marsh Supermarkets Ermal Marsh and Chairman and CEO of UPS Kent Nelson.

Looking for part time work? UM Canterbury Preschool has three- and four-hour shifts available. Interested students must be able to work five days a week, from either 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Openings in office work are also available. Excellent computer and people skills are required. Please send an email to Phyllis Bochman, at pbochman@miami.edu or call Michelle Klein at 305-284-5437.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...