NEWS BRIEFS

Campaign Promotes Tolerance, Combats Hate

The Anti-Defamation League [ADL], in cooperation with UM Volunteer and Student Services and various Miami-Dade county community relation organizations, held the No Place for Hate Campaign as part of Volunteer Awareness Week, bringing social causes to the forefront of the campus’ attention.

The kick-off event held at the Rock last Monday was an effort to promote tolerance and bring to light the ever-present problem of prejudice in the United States. The event was highlighted by brief “speak-out” sessions by various prominent figures, including UM President Donna Shalala.

In addition to the kick-off event held Monday, the No Place for Hate Campaign also held various events throughout the week, including a lecture and a screening of American History X Tuesday night. The lecture “Overstepping Boundaries: Hate and its Presence in Society,” was given by Keith Akins, who clandestinely entered the world of a white supremacy group. On Wednesday evening, a student and faculty panel discussion was held on the topic, “Diversity and its Practice in America.” The No Place for Hate Campaign hopes that UM’s cooperation will help in the continued effort promoted by the ADL, being the first university in the area to openly support the cause by endorsing the campaign, living up to it’s reputation of being a campus where diversity is celebrated.

(U-WIRE) MUNCIE, Ind. – When John Schnatter graduated from Ball State University in 1984 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, he began selling pizza out of a broom closet that he knocked down in the back of his father’s bar, Mick’s Lounge. In 1985, Schnatter turned Mick’s Lounge into the first Papa John’s restaurant. Today, he is the president and chief executive officer of the Louisville, Ky.-based Papa John’s International, which owns or franchises more than 3,000 Papa John’s restaurants in 49 states and 15 international markets. The company owns more than 100 Pizza Perfect restaurants in the United Kingdom, as well.

Schnatter will be inducted into the Miller College of Business Hall of Fame at the first Miller College of Business Alumni Awards Dinner. He is one of eight alumni who will be honored at the dinner. The college used to have several award ceremonies throughout the year but decided to combine all of the alumni awards in one evening, said Marc Ransford, media relations manager. Previous inductees into the Hall of Fame include Garfield creator Jim Davis, founder and first president of Marsh Supermarkets Ermal Marsh and Chairman and CEO of UPS Kent Nelson.

Looking for part time work? UM Canterbury Preschool has three- and four-hour shifts available. Interested students must be able to work five days a week, from either 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Openings in office work are also available. Excellent computer and people skills are required. Please send an email to Phyllis Bochman, at pbochman@miami.edu or call Michelle Klein at 305-284-5437.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...