FILM CONTEST Shorts in the Park is a break-out opportunity

Gen Art, “access to emerging talent.” the national arts and entertainment organization that is devoted to bringing talented artists, fashionistas and filmmakers, are working on their latest project, Shorts in the Park. Shorts in the Park is a visual arts-based event featuring short films from emerging independent filmmakers on large screens in downtown Miami.

Presented by Quantum on the Bay and Terra International, the event will present the films of three Florida-based finalists chosen by professionals in the film industry. As an incentive the winning filmmaker will receive a $5,000 grant from Quantum by Terra International.

Joined by a magnitude of support from Miami locals, the winning film will be screened in front of a 1,000-person audience, followed by a screening of a classic modern film. In its second year of production, Shorts in the Park is an outstanding program by an already experienced organization.

Ten years in the making, Gen Art has a long history of showcasing emerging talents in the film industry. In 2003 Gen Art hosted the Acura film Screening Series that included indy films such as Confidence and Love The Hard Way – both films included big-name stars such as Dustin Hoffman and Adrien Brody.

A tip for aspiring filmmakers: Last year’s film is in the running for an Oscar nomination, so don’t pass up the opportunity. The deadline for films is Monday, Oct.11, with a fee of $10.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Shorts in the Park

www.genart.org/miamishorts

305-695-8200
Films submitted cannot be completed
before January 2003.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...