FILM CONTEST Shorts in the Park is a break-out opportunity

Gen Art, “access to emerging talent.” the national arts and entertainment organization that is devoted to bringing talented artists, fashionistas and filmmakers, are working on their latest project, Shorts in the Park. Shorts in the Park is a visual arts-based event featuring short films from emerging independent filmmakers on large screens in downtown Miami.

Presented by Quantum on the Bay and Terra International, the event will present the films of three Florida-based finalists chosen by professionals in the film industry. As an incentive the winning filmmaker will receive a $5,000 grant from Quantum by Terra International.

Joined by a magnitude of support from Miami locals, the winning film will be screened in front of a 1,000-person audience, followed by a screening of a classic modern film. In its second year of production, Shorts in the Park is an outstanding program by an already experienced organization.

Ten years in the making, Gen Art has a long history of showcasing emerging talents in the film industry. In 2003 Gen Art hosted the Acura film Screening Series that included indy films such as Confidence and Love The Hard Way – both films included big-name stars such as Dustin Hoffman and Adrien Brody.

A tip for aspiring filmmakers: Last year’s film is in the running for an Oscar nomination, so don’t pass up the opportunity. The deadline for films is Monday, Oct.11, with a fee of $10.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Shorts in the Park

www.genart.org/miamishorts

305-695-8200
Films submitted cannot be completed
before January 2003.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...