POLITICAL CARTOONS : Cartoons at the Lowe evoke issues both past and present

Political cartoons, often-called editorial cartoons are often times the visual vehicles for journalistic scrutiny of political policies and affairs. Amidst the mayhem of the Presidential Debates that took place Sept. 30, the Lowe Art Museum got a piece of the action, exhibiting the works of Chan Lowe and Jim Morin.

Cartoonists for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and The Miami Herald, Chan Lowe and Jim Morin have been entertaining readers and criticizing politicians and policies since the 1970s.

In an exhibit focusing on the upcoming presidential election and elections of the past years, the Lowe Art Museum offers a rather simple perspective on South Florida’s political cartoonists. Located in the second gallery, the exhibit of “It’s Debatable, The Political Cartoon Art of Chan Lowe and Jim Morin” is simply laid out with all the cartoons framed in a white mat and frameless pieces of glass.

Humorous and witty the various pictorials of elephants, angry mobs, and oversized talk bubbles range in topic. Seeming to be in no specific order, presidential candidates, actual debate cartoons, and issues of national concern ink the white canvases.

Despite the lack of color, flashing lights, or loud music, the exhibit has a voice of it’s own that can only be appreciated through an actual visit. Visit the Lowe and expand the knowledge of both past and present political topics, you’ll be surprised with how entertaining black ink can be.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...