News Briefs

Students join community in volunteering for National Gandhi Day of Service
National Gandhi Day of Service, held last Saturday, brought out 150 students from UM to volunteer for various activities at 13 different sites that ranged from wildlife preserves to retirement homes. Student organizations that participated included LINK, STEP, Earth Alert, Habitat for Humanity, COISO, ISA, UBS, HSA, and SpectrUM. Outside of UM, there were an additional 50 volunteers from Barry University and The Miami Non-Violence Project. All together, including Florida Club Care Center, Epworth Village, Charlee House, and a hurricane relief warehouse. Volunteers spent all morning making a difference in their community. According to organizers, this year has been the most successful Gandhi Day endeavor in the last 3 years.

SG and Library join forces to improve test scores
Student Government and the University of Miami library system announced the availability of LSAT, MCAT and GRE prep books. There will be two copies of each available, one for library-only use and one for three-day reserve. The deal with the library is that if the demand for these books increases, then more copies will be added.

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.- Camp Randall provided some memorable moments for University of Wisconsin [UW] students last Saturday as the UW football team beat Penn State 16-3, but one badger missed out on part of the fun.
The UW Police Department quietly arrested Bucky Badger during the second quarter of the game shortly after police officers saw him body passing through the student section. Although few students were aware of the arrest, the badger was removed from the game and fined $181 for body passing.
During Bucky’s arrest, a replacement Bucky was prepped and sent out, according to Lt. Karen Soley of the UWPD. Bucky arrests happen about once every seven or eight years, Bridges added. A Waunakee, Wis., police officer watched Bucky during the passing and then fished him out from the crowd after he was set down. Bridges said mascots and members of the cheerleading and pom squad know they are not allowed to body pass during games.
Bucky was taken to the police center inside Camp Randall and ticketed. His court date is Oct. 15. “No one is allowed to body pass because it’s an unsafe thing,” Sorley said. “It is something we will arrest someone for.”

UM is offering a three-credit UM travel course touring Mexico, the Yucatan and its islands over Spring Break. This course-trip, March 12-19, 2005, studies on-site the sacred land of the Maya and the rich heritage of Spanish colonial life. This course, ARC 323, is intended for all students and no prerequisite course is required. For further information, including financial aid, call 305-284-5253, Professor Lopez-Gottardi, School of Architecture.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...