LETTER TO THE EDITOR

RE: The presidential debate at the University of Miami

As an alumnus one year removed from my time at the University of Miami, I was an undergraduate at a time in which political interest and action on campus blossomed. When I enrolled in the fall of 1999, not one political organization existed on campus. Five short years later, it is clear to me that UM is among the most politically active campuses in the nation. This “political revolution” reached its pinnacle during the presidential debates.

Undoubtedly, UM gained much prestige in the national stage. From the standpoint of an alumnus, this calls forth great pride for my alma matter, as I never failed to tell my family, friends and co-workers, “Hey, you know the presidential debate is at my University of Miami.” The administration did a fantastic job of making UM appear first rate on television. In addition, the students showed up in force and gave off the impression that they cared about politics. That in itself is deserving of the highest commendation – and for it I thank you, the students.

However, there was one instance where I caught myself thinking, “Did I just hear that?” While watching Hardball with Chris Matthews on MSNBC, I witnessed the interview of the president of the College Republicans and Democrats. The president of the College Republicans came across as an articulate veteran with a command of the issues. Alternatively, it pains me to say the president of the Democrats came across as unfamiliar with the issues and prostrating to the “anti-everything” crowd. While upset at this, I understood it was only a minor footnote to the more generally positive fact that UM was on a nationally televised program.

I remain as proud of the University of Miami as the day I graduated and I am sure I speak on behalf of all alumni when I extend a belated thanks to all students, faculty, staff and administration for all pitching in and making the presidential debate at UM an unequivocal success. Hopefully, this success is but one in a string of many in the meteoric rise of our national-caliber university.

Jeffrey Donofrio

Class of 2003

It is appalling that in a 7,000-seat convocation center, not all of the 689 students (a relatively small number) that applied could attend the presidential debate. Even more shocking is the fact that there is such a lack of discontent about it!

What students need to realize is that for an entire year, we have been manipulated to believe that this debate is an amazing opportunity for us to get involved in politics. In reality, this debate is more costly to the university than anything else and does not benefit the customers (the students who pay the pricey tuition) at all. We have been placated with all of the “free” events (Grammy artists, Dalai Lama, and other guest speakers) that the University is hosting, but we need to realize that none of this is free! We are paying for every cent of it, and who benefits? The political sycophants, the media, and the very few students who got to attend the actual debate.

In my opinion, students should have been selected via a lottery system. Obviously, students that submitted the applications would be watching the debate on TV and vote anyway! Why not try to select students who are new to politics and get them interested and motivated? This debate is a disappointment to students and is simply another way for Donna Shalala to get her name in lights once more.

Emily Tarleton

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...