Debate volunteers learn meaning of flexibility, help UM shine

At the first debate volunteer training session, Dr. Pat Whitely, Vice President of Student Affairs, welcomed us and warned that “the theme of these debates will be flexibility.” To be completely honest, I think we were all worried hearing those words.

But as the days went on, we realized that the word “flexibility” was used in the most positive sense, and we were all there to help each other out.

Wearing “the red shirt,” as many called it, was not what we were all about. We were about community and family. We were a family that assisted each other when help was needed, who pulled together for UM.

My specific job as a debate volunteer was to ride on the media shuttles from the credentialing area, where security clearance was received, to the Wellness Center, where all the media was staged.

“The experiences that I gained from volunteering for the Debate were truly priceless.”

I was the first volunteer the media shuttle bus saw first thing Monday morning at 8 a.m. Riding the shuttles allowed me to learn others’ views on the election other than my own. One of the shuttle drivers, Lewis, expressed his desire “to get George W. out of the White House” very poetically for about an hour.

It was great to be recognized on campus by an ABC news reporter who I assisted when he used the shuttle due to the rain. He thanked me once again for my assistance and help.

As a political science major, it was beyond thrilling for me to place myself in situations that would enable me to be in arm’s reach with people I have followed for a long time.

People like Chris Matthews, Paul Begala, Judy Woodworth, Pat Buchanan and Wolf Blitzer walked around campus covering the most important presidential campaign of our lifetime.

The experiences that I gained from volunteering for the Debate were truly priceless. Never again will I be able to help UM shine so brightly in such an international light, or meet such a great group of people willing to help each other out.

Meghan Risser can be contacted at m.risser@umiami.edu.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...