It’s On! Candidates debate the issues in the first Presidential Debate

University ready to play host to media and politicians
The most high profile, anticipated event in University of Miami history has finally arrived. After a year of planning, preparation, and excitement – coupled with stress, inconvenience, and uncertainty – the first 2004 Presidential Debate will take place at the Convocation Center tonight.

UM President Donna Shalala released a statement to all students Monday.

“This is an extraordinary moment. More than 40 million people worldwide will be watching,” Shalala said. “Take part, savor it, tune in, be proud. And brush off the inconvenience. It’s a small price to pay to be a part of history in the making.”

The Debate is the culminating event in a series of prolific events that have come to campus this semester, including visits from such notable figures as political strategists Mary Matalin and James Carville, independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader, and His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama.

The best access for the majority of students will come with tonight’s Debate Watch Party. The block party will stretch from the UC Patio to the Rat, complete with free food, entertainment, and seven large screens to watch the debate live. Grammy Award nominee Vanessa Carlton and Grammy Award winner Jill Scott will perform live. The party will be hosted by WWE stars Mick Foley, Mark Henry, and Chris Nowinski.

Debate Format

President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry will be debating on foreign policy issues, which is a change from the domestic policy focus announced by the Commission on Presidential Debates last month.

The candidates will not make opening statements, but will be allowed to make two-minute closing statements.

Jim Lehrer, anchor and executive editor of PBS television’s The NewsHour, will be the moderator of the 90-minute debate. He will select the topics of discussion and at least 16 questions for the candidates.

Over 2,500 media personnel are expected to be on campus to cover the debate. The Wellness Center will be their center of operation, dubbed “Spin Alley.” Many students have gotten the opportunity to work with the likes of Fox News Channel, Newsweek, and MSNBC.

Hardball with Chris Matthews will film live from the Rock today, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Crossfire and CNN Live will film live from the UC Patio through most of the day. Students can attend with a ‘Cane card.

Inconveniences abound

Many students have expressed their concerns about the various inconveniences caused by the Debate, especially considering that few students will have the opportunity to attend the event.

Freshman Rodolfo Tomarchio feels that the Debate benefits the University more than the students.

“They are hosting it more for the venue, not for the students. It’s more to get higher admissions,” Tomarchio said. “It’s a great event for the University in general, but I don’t think it benefits the students.”

“It’s really exciting that it’s right here,” Vicki Kearney, senior, said. “I wish there was more of an opportunity for students to attend the debate, because it’s right here but we’re still going to watch it on TV.”

However, both Kearney and Rachel Federgreen, a senior, say that the Debate is the biggest event they have seen on campus in their four years at UM.

“It’s an opportunity I never thought I’d get,” Federgreen said.

>>For the latest information on the Debate, visit

Megha Garg can be contacted at

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...