Image is everything…

The first Presidential Debate, set to begin tonight at 9 p.m., will put the University of Miami in a global spotlight. With an anticipated 50 million viewers worldwide, it is safe to say that few will be unfamiliar with the palm trees and fountains we recognize as UM.

All of the media attention coming to UM because of the Debate is expected to have a significant impact on the University’s image.

“It’s not so much that it will change UM’s image, but that it will enhance our image,” said Jerry Lewis, vice president for Communications. “The most important thing the debate does is that it signals to the world that we are a force to be reckoned with.”

According to a recent article in The Miami Herald, UM wasn’t the only one looking to enhance its image through its involvement with the Debate. The Miccosukee Tribe of Indians sponsored the Debate with a $1 million donation, seeking to make itself a bigger force in politics and philanthropy.

Today, over 2500 members of the media are on campus, reporting for the top networks and newspapers throughout the world. This will cause a surge of publicity for the University.

“Every front page of every newspaper will include the University of Miami’s name the morning after the debate,” Lewis said. “In advertising terms, it’s the ultimate product placement.”

The media coverage will also showcase a new side of UM, beyond being a private research university, by spotlighting the Coral Gables campus and the undergraduate student body.

“Many people are familiar with us because of our medical school,” Lewis said. “And, of course, our Miami Hurricanes football team is legendary.”

Despite the increase in attention, noticeable changes in the University’s image may be slow.

“I don’t think it’s possible to make drastic changes to our image overnight,” Lewis said. “But we have made some bold, dramatic steps in a relatively short period of time.”

According to Lewis, the University’s image has changed tremendously since Donna Shalala took over as president in 2001.

“During just a few short years, we have launched a billion dollar campaign, significantly increased our academic standing, jumped up in the national rankings, and joined the prestigious Atlantic Coast Conference,” Lewis said.

So how do outsiders view the University?

“Some probably view us as an upstart, and in many ways we are. We’re relatively young as universities go,” Lewis said. “But we’re aggressive, we’re enthusiastic, and we mean serious business. When you have the confidence and stability that come with academic prowess, anything is possible.”

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...