Americans, Brits battle at UM debate

The UM Debate team and the British Debate All Stars faced off Tuesday at the Rat in a debate over the issue “this house would put an end to presidential debates.” Hosted by Chris Nowinski, of the WWE and Smackdown Your Vote, the debate focused on the effects that the presidential debates have on U.S. democratic system.

Citing the fact that questions and answers would already be prepared by candidates in a presidential debate, and that candidates would not be allowed to question each other directly, the British All Stars proposed that the debates are a danger to democracy.

“What sort of debate doesn’t allow questioning?” British debater Robert Marrs said. “It’s like boxing without punching. Instead of answers, people look for other things – the mistakes that candidates make, the clothes they wear, and their pretty smiles become more important than the next four years.”

The UM debate team opposed, stating that the presidential debates are the only way that the public can see the issues for themselves.

“Without the debates, we only know the issues through a third party: the biased media, the unresponsive media, the unreliable media,” Skylar Zwick, senior, said.

They also argued that seeing the two candidates in a debate, where there is a possibility of mistakes, humanizes these political figures into people that the public can relate to.

“The presidential debates give politicians a human characteristic,” Alex Acosta, junior, said. “When I see that Bush choked on a pretzel, that shows me that political figures are people, just like everyone sitting in this room.”

Other issues mentioned at the debate included Ralph Nader, and his inability to participate in the debates as a third party candidate.

“If someone is not Democratic or Republican then they cannot be elected. The nature of the debates doesn’t allow that, because they deny that platform to third parties,” said Aneurin Brewer of the British All Stars.

After each debater gave his or her speech, the floor was open to the audience members, many of whom questioned the All-Stars. Despite the seemingly opposing crowd, a vote by a show of hands determined the British All Stars as winners of the debate.

Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.edu..

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...