MAM Adhesive 44

Wild, creative and completely simplistic, Jac Leirner’s Adhesive 44, number 44 in her sticker-based work, is a unique exhibit of turning the everyday world into pure art. Adhesive 44 is comprised of two 40-foot windowpanes covered with stickers. Collecting stickers for over the past 20 years, Leirner transfers her life as a consumer onto her art, creating pieces that relate to daily life.

Although Leirner previously applied stickers to bus windows and plexiglass sheets, the glass windows-typical to any hardware store-are a perfect expansive background to the array of colors, graphics and words that each sticker carries.

The stickers are divided into categories even though their placement is seemingly random. Color, subject and form are all characteristics that determine where on the glass the sticker is placed, but not how the sticker is placed.

The stickers are mostly of a promotional nature, however children’s stickers, mailing labels and even scratch n’ sniff stickers adorn the extensive backdrop. Adding to the interest, an old WVUM sticker hides in the menagerie of color, side by side with a Fed Ex label and a small Care Bear.

Since each sticker is a part of Leirner’s life, having obtained the stickers from traveling, gifts, or through stores, all of Leirner’s work is based on her personal experiences of life. In this case, some stickers were in Leirner’s possession long before Adhesive 44 began to take shape.

Visually interesting and explicit of the relationship between culture and consumerism, Adhesive 44 is one of the few exhibits that has a wide audience appeal. A gentle balance of common elements with a highly stylized design, Adhesive 44 is an exhibit that no one should miss.

Artist Background: Jac Leirner is a Sao Paulo based artist who has been completing and exhibiting works of art using everyday items since 1992. Using cigarette packs, stickers, envelopes and even museum shopping bags, Leirner creates unique pieces that enhance the appeal of items that consumers often overlook or take advantage of. Leirner’s work has been displayed internationally, receiving a fellowship from the Guggenheim Foundation in New York.

>> Adhesive 44 will be closing on Oct. 10. Check out the Miami Art Museum to catch a glimpse of this inimitable work.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...