CD REVIEW

What do Sean Paul, Christina Aguilera, Mary J. Blige, India.Arie, Cheryl Lynn, and The Pussycat Dolls have in common? The answer is the new motion picture soundtrack to Shark Tale, the much-anticipated film by big company Dreamworks. Released by Geffen Records who is associated with names such as Ashlee Simpson and Blink 182, the 13-track album is a glorious mix of talent.

Starting with Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliott’s already radio popular remake of disco classic “Car Wash”, the album is a mix of sweet pop, soul and funky beats. Combined with brand news songs from Justin Timberlake and Timbaland and D12 and Ludacris, the compilation is a mix of some of the best talent in the industry as of yet. Despite the fact that the album is the soundtrack for Shark Tale, a highly anticipated animated film, the lyrics are entertaining and surprisingly, even references to undersea animals make good songs. Who knew that “Lies & Rumors” by D12 is actually about Oscar, voiced by Will Smith, the main “fish” of the story’s plotline?

Whether you are jamming in your car or just relaxing next to your stereo, the soundtrack and its ensemble of talented musicians is a solid addition to any collection of music.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.