Student dies in fall at Stanford

University of Miami student Braden Ray died Saturday afternoon after falling from the twelfth floor of Rosborough Tower in Stanford Residential College. According to Miami-Dade Police, the death has been ruled a suicide. There is a possibility of alcohol and/or drugs as a contributing factor. The results of a toxicology test are expected sometime next week.

Ray, 19, was in attendance at a party in Stanford Residential College on Saturday afternoon when he called 911, police say. According to Detective Joseph Giordano, witnesses reported that Ray was acting erratically in the time before he placed the call. At the time of his fall, Ray was speaking with a 911 operator, Giordano said. Police plan to release the tape to the public.

A vigil was held on Sunday night outside Stanford Residential College. Over 100 faculty, administration and students paid tribute to Ray.

“We are all heartbroken,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs said. “University resources, including University chaplains, the Counseling Center, and the Health Center are available to students at all times.”

Students may walk in to the Counseling Center, located in Building 21-R, or make an appointment by calling (305) 284-5511. Students requiring immediate assistance may contact their Resident Assistant or call Public Safety at (305)284-6666.

The Hurricane will continue to provide updates on our website, www.thehurricaneonline.com, as more information becomes available.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...