Student dies in fall at Stanford

University of Miami student Braden Ray died Saturday afternoon after falling from the twelfth floor of Rosborough Tower in Stanford Residential College. According to Miami-Dade Police, the death has been ruled a suicide. There is a possibility of alcohol and/or drugs as a contributing factor. The results of a toxicology test are expected sometime next week.

Ray, 19, was in attendance at a party in Stanford Residential College on Saturday afternoon when he called 911, police say. According to Detective Joseph Giordano, witnesses reported that Ray was acting erratically in the time before he placed the call. At the time of his fall, Ray was speaking with a 911 operator, Giordano said. Police plan to release the tape to the public.

A vigil was held on Sunday night outside Stanford Residential College. Over 100 faculty, administration and students paid tribute to Ray.

“We are all heartbroken,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs said. “University resources, including University chaplains, the Counseling Center, and the Health Center are available to students at all times.”

Students may walk in to the Counseling Center, located in Building 21-R, or make an appointment by calling (305) 284-5511. Students requiring immediate assistance may contact their Resident Assistant or call Public Safety at (305)284-6666.

The Hurricane will continue to provide updates on our website, www.thehurricaneonline.com, as more information becomes available.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...