PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE 2004

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 27
UM vs. The British Debate All Stars
7 p.m.
Storer Auditorium
A parliamentary-style debate on the proposition, “This house believes that political advertising distorts democracy in the United States.” The University of Miami debate team will favor the motion. There will be audience Q & A following the debate, which will follow a formal organizational structure.

The Presidential Debate Film Series
7:30 p.m.
Bill Cosford Cinema
A screening of Mike Nichols’ Primary Colors, starring John Travolta and Emma Thompson will be shown as part of the Presidential Debate Film Series. Admission is free for all UM students, faculty and staff.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28

A Personal Conversation with Ralph Nader
4 p.m.
Bill Cosford Cinema
The Council for Democracy and the School of Communication host independent United States Presidential candidate Ralph Nader, who will discuss the major points of his campaign platform and then answer audience questions. Refreshments will be served.

UM vs. The British Debate All Stars
7 p.m.
Rathskeller
A town hall debate on the resolution, “This house would put an end to presidential debates.” The UM debate team will oppose the motion. The debate will follow a less formal town hall format with audience participation encouraged.

The Latin Factor
7:30 p.m.
Bill Cosford Cinema
The Hispanic Heritage Month Committee, Council for Democracy, and the UM School of Communication are proud to host New Jersey Congressman Bob Menendez and a yet to be determined Republican congressman for a discussion of Latin Americans’ influence in American politics. For more information, visit www.CouncilforDemocracy.org

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
The Latino Vote: A Game Plan for Victory?
11:30 a.m.
Storer Auditorium
A panel discussion on the role of the Latino vote in the 2004 election and beyond. Sponsored by the National Council of La Raza.

Smackdown Your Vote!
8 p.m.
Maurice Gusman Concert Hall
WWE and UM present this forum where critical issues facing Americans under 30, and solutions proposed by the Presidential candidates, will be discussed.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30

Covering the Campaign
10 a.m.
Studio C, School of Communication
Moderator: Darcie Lunsford, vice president of the South Florida chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists
A panel presented by the Society of Professional Journalists will discuss the Presidential campaign from the journalists’ point of view. The discussion, which will be followed by a question and answer session, will focus on the differences in covering the election this year from previous years.

Climb aboard the C-SPAN School Bus
2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
School of Communication
Take a free tour of the award-winning C-SPAN School Bus, a 45-foot mobile television production studio and demonstration center. Come aboard and learn about C-SPAN’s coverage of the 2004 Presidential Debate and its overall coverage of the upcoming election.

Debate Watch Party
7:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Rathskeller Plaza
The Watch Party will provide students, faculty and staff with a unique opportunity to take part in the Presidential Debate. The Rathskeller Plaza will be turned into a grand block party, showcasing the live debate at the UM Convocation Center.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1

The View from the White House
10 a.m.
Studio C, School of Communication
Speaker: Bill Plante, CBS News correspondent
Bill Plante will discuss his work covering the President and the election campaign for CBS News. His talk will offer the perspective of a highly experienced network news
correspondent.

Rock the Vote
12 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
UC Patio
Rock the Vote will be bringing its message of youth voter registration to UM. This message will be conveyed through an interactive educational festival and a concert featuring some of today’s hottest up and coming artists.

Presidential Photography Exhibit
Whitten University Center (lower lounge)
Sept. 20 through Oct.1, 2004
The School of Communication Visual Communication Program has organized a photographic exhibition in coordination with the Presidential Debate. Through the archives of the Pictures of the Year International (POYI) held at the University of Missouri, a selection of presidential images from the Roosevelt administration through the present administration have been selected and designed into a freestanding exhibition.

Declare Yourself
Sept. 29 through Oct. 1, 2004
History will be made as a rare original copy of the Declaration of Independence goes on display at the Whitten University Center. This free viewing of the Declaration is presented by “Declare Yourself,” a national non-profit, nonpartisan young voter registration campaign founded by famed television producer Norman Lear.

It’s Debatable: The Political Cartoon Art of Chan Lowe and Jim Morin
Through Oct. 17, 2004
Lowe Art Museum
Two of South Florida’s most lauded political cartoonists are featured in an exhibition focusing on the 2004 Presidential election and issues of national concern.

Tintypes
Sept. 29 through Oct. 9, 2004
Jerry Herman Ring Theatre
A tuneful, high-spirited brew of popular songs from 1890 to 1917, performed by characters of the period including the outrageous President Teddy Roosevelt. Featuring lovable old melodies such as “In My Merry Oldsmobile,” “A Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight,” “Hello, Ma Baby,” and “You’re A Grand Old Flag,” Tintypes is a spirited and patriotic salute to America.
Source: www.miami.edu/debate04

September 29 -30,
WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY
CNN will be broadcasting live from the UC Patio.
Various morning shows, including NBC’s The Today Show, will be broadcasting live from UM.
MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews will be filmed live on the Rock.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...