NEWS BRIEFS

The University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences and Coral Gables bookstore Books and Books, hosted author Chuck Palahniuk in The Authors’ Studio Sept. 23 at the Bill Cosford Cinema. Some of his most famous works include Fight Club, Diary and his most recent book, Stranger Than Fiction. To the enjoyment of many literary fans, Palahniuk held a book signing an hour before the event. The aim of The Authors’ Studio series is to provide a space for authors to discuss their work and involves university-wide audience participation. The Authors’ Studio is free and open to the public. For further information, please contact Maureen Seaton, director of Creative Writing at (305) 284-2182.
The Omicron Delta Kappa Society is the national leadership honor society for college students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni that recognizes and encourages superior scholarship, leadership and exemplary character. Nomination forms for Fall 2004 have been made available, as Omicron Delta Kappa are searching for people who exemplify Scholarship, Athletics, Social Service, Journalism, and/or Creative or Performing Arts. Membership in ODK is a mark of the highest distinction and honor. Current students in Junior or Senior standing, faculty and administration are all eligible for nomination. Individuals should not nominate themselves, nor tell someone that he/she is being nominated. Applications are due in the Student Activities office by Sept. 27 at 5 p.m.

Attention Commuter Students!
During the week of the Presidential Debate (Sept. 27 through Sept. 30), all students, faculty and staff are required to have their ‘Cane Card ID present at all times. On the day of the debate, Sept. 30, no one will be allowed onto campus without their ID. Therefore, the University is providing lanyards to all students to be worn during the week of the debates. Pick-up will be held in the UC Breezeway from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. starting Wednesday, Sept. 15 through Friday, Sept. 24. Lanyards will also be available starting Monday, Sept. 20 through Friday, Sept. 24 at the Information Desk in the University Center Lower Lounge or from your RA.