LETTER TO THE EDITOR RE: “Tragic death leaves UM community shaken,” 9/21

RE: “Tragic death leaves UM community shaken,” 9/21

I saw someone die on Saturday. I did not know him, or how he died, but I saw the paramedics put the white sheet over his body. I spent most of the day crying and thinking about death. For my own well-being, I needed questions answered: Why did he do it? Where were his friends? His R.A.? His support? I needed to read a letter from President Shalala similar to that of when Chad Meredith passed away when I was a freshman, but what do I get? The most generic, ambiguous, apathetic, impersonal statement regarding a nameless student’s death. This offended me more than words can express.
President Shalala: drugs and alcohol are a problem on this campus; remind us that there are counseling options. President Shalala: it is hard to deal with death; remind us there is someone on campus to help us deal with it. President Shalala: there are people on the verge of suicide that may now think that it is a solution; remind them that there are other options! Let us know a memorial will be held, let us know his death will not be lost in the mix of the Debate and the Dalai Lama, let us know that the University does truly care about him and about us. He is not nameless; he was more than just “gifted,” and those of us still here are the ones that have to deal with it. The ones that knew him will have to deal with the loss of a friend; those that did not will have to deal with seeing death face to face. You cannot let this tragedy go in vain – this tragedy should not have happened in the first place.

Name withheld by request

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...