UM student dies after fall

UM student Braden Ray died Saturday afternoon after falling from the twelfth floor of Rosborough Tower in Stanford Residential College. According to Miami-Dade Police, they are currently investigating the death as a suicide with alcohol and/or drugs as a contributing factor. The results of a toxicology test are expected sometime next week.
Ray, 19, was in attendance at a party in Stanford Residential College on Saturday afternoon when he called 911, police say. According to Detective Joseph Giordano, witnesses reported that Ray was acting erratically in the time before he placed the call. At the time of his fall, Ray was speaking with a 911 operator, Giordano said. Police plan to release the tape to the public.
A vigil was held on Sunday night outside of Stanford Residential College. Over 100 faculty, administration, and students paid tribute to Ray.
“We are all heartbroken,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs said. “University resources, including University chaplains, the Counseling Center, and the Health Center are available to students at all times.”
Students may walk in to the Counseling Center, located in Building 21-R, or make an appointment by calling 305-284-5511. Students requiring immediate assistance may contact their Resident Assistant or call Public Safety at 305-284-6666.
The Hurricane will continue to update our site as more information becomes available.

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...