News Briefs

MPA Latin American film series comes back to UM

The Motion Picture Association [MPA] and the University of Miami have launched the second annual MPA-UM Latin American Film Series. The series features selected films from Latin American countries such as Argentina, Chile and Mexico. Chile’s “Sexo con Amor,” directed by Boris Quercia, kicked off the series Sept. 17 at the Bill Cosford Cinema. Screenings begin at 7 p.m. and tickets are $6 general admission, free for UM students. The series will showcase selected films twice a month, and the list of the featured films will be announced shortly. For more information on screening times at the University of Miami and dates, call (305) 284-1870.

Crazed dog strikes U. Florida students

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla.- A one-eyed, 70-pound Pit Bull attacked two college students at a University of Florida-area apartment complex on Thursday, inflicting severe wounds on its victims before Alachua County (Fla.) sheriff’s deputies fatally shot it, police say. UF student Ryan Tyler, 21, was in a second-floor stairwell when the dog attacked him, latching onto his arm and removing a large chunk of flesh, police say. UF sophomore Ian Carmichael, 19, followed Tyler’s screams and then jumped onto the dog’s back to pin it down. Nathan J. Lezwiewicz, 21, a South Florida Community College student, said he also heard screams and ran to the scene, grabbing kitchen knives from a woman in a nearby apartment. Both he and Carmichael repeatedly stabbed the dog until it released Tyler. It then attacked Ryan Troup, 19, who had been trying to help. Lezwiewicz said he pinned the dog and stuck a knife in its neck while twisting its collar in an attempt to choke it. The dog released Troup, who was pulled inside the apartment of the woman who supplied the knives, Carmichael said. ASO deputies arrived soon after and put a dogcatcher’s noose around the dog’s neck. After shooting three rounds of non-lethal “beanbags” -with no effect-they fatally shot the dog. Tyler, listed in stable condition, and Troup were taken to Shands at UF for treatment. ASO spokesman Stephen Maynard said that if Carmichael and Lezwiewicz hadn’t arrived to help, Tyler would have died. “I’ve seen dog attacks before, but nothing as severe as this.”

The Wellness Center is now offering wheelchair tennis lessons! For more information, contact Bill Aronsorl at (305)324-4455 ext. 6995 or visit www.miami.edu/wellness.

The AOL Instant Messenger service has agreed to be part of the Rock the Vote Campus Invasion Tour, giving students an opportunity to sign up for the service, learn how to set up IM for their cell phones, and even take home some free shirts. Look out for AOL Instant Messaging at the Rock the Vote Tour at UM Oct. 1.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...