Hurricanes continue season long offensive struggle

The women’s soccer team (0-4) remained winless on the season as it suffered a 1-0 defeat to North Carolina State (6-0-1) Friday night. Anna Helenius scored for the Wolfpack in the 37th minute of the first half to give N.C. State all the scoring it would need.

Miami couldn’t find the back of the net for the third time in four games, as it has only one goal on the season, which came on a penalty kick against Auburn.

In fairness to the ‘Canes, they were put at a disadvantage early in the second half when their goaltender, sophomore Alex Alford, was handed a red card for a slide tackle. Alford came sprinting out of the goal-box to cut down a breakaway and keep Miami in the ballgame. Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro commended the play.

“I think it was the right call,” Taliaferro said. “I also feel that it was the right play by our goalkeeper and we had good pressure even though we were a player down.”

Miami was able to outshoot the Wolfpack 16-12 but only four were on goal. Freshman goalkeeper Lauren McAdam made four saves but took the loss.

Senior Britney Butcher led the team in shots with three, while junior Lindsey Yach had two of the four shots on goal for the ‘Canes.

How will Miami get on the winning track this season?

“I really feel that if we would have been at even strength, things would have been different, but seeing our team play with the drive and determination they had tonight was something we haven’t seen up to this point and that is something we are going to be able to build upon as we move forward,” Taliaferro said.

Miami put a lot of pressure on the N.C. State defense in the final thirty minutes, despite being down a player because Alford’s ejection. The Wolfpack defense made it tough for Miami to penetrate it and get quality shots on goal.

The road doesn’t get any easier for Miami, as it has to face the No. 4 team in the nation when it hosts in-state rival Florida State next week. Taliaferro said she believes the team is heading in the right direction with what she saw against North Carolina State.

“It’s always difficult to lose such a close match,” Taliaferro said, “but if we had to take something positive from this match, I would have to say that I was extremely impressed with the way our team responded being a man down for nearly the entire second period.”

Miami returns to action this week when it travels to Jacksonville Tuesday to take on the Dolphins at 4 p.m.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...