One action speaks louder than candidates’ words

This week, Ohio State Senator Steve Stivers delivered Bush and Kerry a double-whammy- by serving in Iraq. That’s right. While Bush, Kerry and the ever-so-robotic pundits debate the Presidential candidates’ military records, Mr. Stivers is actually proving a point by leaving his cozy chair at Ohio’s State Capitol and actually heading towards Iraq to direct and guide his National Guard unit.

Now, just to clarify: Mr. Stivers is a Republican. I’m not a registered Democrat, but I’m still very liberal nonetheless. Regardless of what I think of his party’s politics, I give Mr. Stivers a big thumbs up for going right into the crossfire to serve his country. In my opinion, he’d make a much better Republican candidate than Bush…but then again, I’m glad he’s not running for President for that same reason.

Which brings me to my main point: even though Bush and Kerry keep bickering about who went to Vietnam and who skipped out on his National Guard service, there are still many issues that are not being debated – oil dependence, the economy, the fact that the rest of the world hates us, and many other things -that should be set straight. And by straight, I mean “corrected,” not “spun” to appear corrected. And speaking of spin, I have a big, clear message to all the pundits out there that are listening: what either candidate did thirty years ago does not matter! Yes, that’s right, it does not matter! Terrorism matters. The economy matters. Oil dependence matters. Why aren’t the pundits discussing these issues instead?

Because it’s politics, folks (and the pundits, but they’ve always been a lost cause). It won’t change in the near future. But Sen. Stivers’ decision to go to Iraq in these troublesome times earns him my respect, despite his affiliation with the Republican Party, and both candidates should take a cue from him. And by that, I mean not arguing about Vietnam and Purple Hearts, but by taking a more proactive stance, one that’s good for America, and the world: less talk, more action (and I mean beneficial action, which leaves out Bush, but that’s an issue for another day).

Hopefully this will change in time for the election…I doubt it, but in the meantime, I bid Sen. Stivers the best of luck in Iraq, and wish for his safe return.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...