News Briefs

UM celebrates American democracy and diversity

As part of University of Miami’s Celebrating American Democracy and Diversity, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre on campus is hosting Tintypes, a play of pre-World War I America, celebrating the progress of our nation in the lively speech and music of the day, from Sept. 29 to Oct. 9, 2004. Tintypes takes the audience back to a world just introduced to automobiles, electricity, and telephones incorporating the high-spirited songs that were popular from 1890 to 1917, including “Hello, Ma Baby” and “You’re a Grand Old Flag”. Performance dates are Sept. 29, Oct. 1 to 2 and Oct. 6 to 9 at 8 p.m.; matinees are on Oct. 2 and 9 at 2 p.m. Regular admission is $16 for weeknights and matinees; $18 for Friday and Saturday nights. Seniors, Students, UM Faculty, Staff and Alumni Admission is $14 for weeknights and matinees; $16 for Friday and Saturday nights. UM Student Admission is $8 for weeknights and matinees; $10 for Friday and Saturday nights. Parking is free and plentiful adjacent to the theatre. For more information, call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355 or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

USF Football players’ loot valued at $3,615

(U-WIRE) TAMPA, Fla.– Three University of South Florida freshmen football players accused of theft in the university residence halls could face felony larceny charges.
Linebackers C.J. Hunnicutt and Brouce Mompremier and defensive end Josh Julmiste are under investigation by the State Attorney’s Office, according to Lt. Mike Klingebiel of the University Police. The person whose items were stolen was another football player, a source said, but the identity of the player could not be confirmed.
According to a police report, University Patrol was called on Aug. 30 to investigate “unlawful entry and (the) theft of a Play Station 2, television, VCR, computer, digital video discs, videos and miscellaneous items” valued at $3,615. In Florida, grand larceny, which is a felony, is a theft of more than $300. The report said the items were stolen sometime between 10:30 on the night of Aug. 12 and 5:30 on the afternoon of Aug. 30. Some of the property has been recovered, the report said. It also said that charges were filed with the State Attorney’s Office and the students were referred to Student Affairs.
USF coach Jim Leavitt said the players are not active members of the team at this time.
“They have violated team rules. Things have been done that they messed up on,” Leavitt said. “We’re trying to decide right now whether they’ll even be with us or not. Right now they are not with us.”

UM has been chosen as one of only five universities to participate in the CLASS PROJECT Campus Life in America Survey. This prestigious research project of Princeton University is the first of its kind. Check your email for instructions on how to participate in the survey.

Toppel offers a variety of workshops to help you succeed in your job search. All workshops take place in the Toppel Career Library and include job searching on the web, power networking, and resume/cover letter writing. Please visit www.miami.edu/toppel/programs for more information.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...