News Briefs

UM celebrates American democracy and diversity

As part of University of Miami’s Celebrating American Democracy and Diversity, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre on campus is hosting Tintypes, a play of pre-World War I America, celebrating the progress of our nation in the lively speech and music of the day, from Sept. 29 to Oct. 9, 2004. Tintypes takes the audience back to a world just introduced to automobiles, electricity, and telephones incorporating the high-spirited songs that were popular from 1890 to 1917, including “Hello, Ma Baby” and “You’re a Grand Old Flag”. Performance dates are Sept. 29, Oct. 1 to 2 and Oct. 6 to 9 at 8 p.m.; matinees are on Oct. 2 and 9 at 2 p.m. Regular admission is $16 for weeknights and matinees; $18 for Friday and Saturday nights. Seniors, Students, UM Faculty, Staff and Alumni Admission is $14 for weeknights and matinees; $16 for Friday and Saturday nights. UM Student Admission is $8 for weeknights and matinees; $10 for Friday and Saturday nights. Parking is free and plentiful adjacent to the theatre. For more information, call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355 or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

USF Football players’ loot valued at $3,615

(U-WIRE) TAMPA, Fla.– Three University of South Florida freshmen football players accused of theft in the university residence halls could face felony larceny charges.
Linebackers C.J. Hunnicutt and Brouce Mompremier and defensive end Josh Julmiste are under investigation by the State Attorney’s Office, according to Lt. Mike Klingebiel of the University Police. The person whose items were stolen was another football player, a source said, but the identity of the player could not be confirmed.
According to a police report, University Patrol was called on Aug. 30 to investigate “unlawful entry and (the) theft of a Play Station 2, television, VCR, computer, digital video discs, videos and miscellaneous items” valued at $3,615. In Florida, grand larceny, which is a felony, is a theft of more than $300. The report said the items were stolen sometime between 10:30 on the night of Aug. 12 and 5:30 on the afternoon of Aug. 30. Some of the property has been recovered, the report said. It also said that charges were filed with the State Attorney’s Office and the students were referred to Student Affairs.
USF coach Jim Leavitt said the players are not active members of the team at this time.
“They have violated team rules. Things have been done that they messed up on,” Leavitt said. “We’re trying to decide right now whether they’ll even be with us or not. Right now they are not with us.”

UM has been chosen as one of only five universities to participate in the CLASS PROJECT Campus Life in America Survey. This prestigious research project of Princeton University is the first of its kind. Check your email for instructions on how to participate in the survey.

Toppel offers a variety of workshops to help you succeed in your job search. All workshops take place in the Toppel Career Library and include job searching on the web, power networking, and resume/cover letter writing. Please visit www.miami.edu/toppel/programs for more information.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...