Confessions Party People

The parties, the wild nights, Thursday’s out in the grove, from the taxi ride to the door, Miami nightlife is all about having a story to tell. Relatively unedited and also rated PG, these are the behind-the-scenes stories of three party professionals whose lives revolve around making sure party-goers are having a good time. Hopefully you understand the inferences.

The wildest night at the bar was the night that Girls Gone Wild came. There was a lot of alcohol flowing and some crazy crazy girls, people were packed into the club and there was a line out the door with some 60 to 70 people. The Girls Gone Wild van even got a ticket for being illegally parked on a side street.
Confession: “There are a lot of girls at the bar that I’ve done that I definitely shouldn’t have.”

Perks to working in the party industry: You get to meet a lot of people, one of the DJs I work with is the personal DJ to Kevin Lyttle and people will recognize you from parties you hosted months ago, even if they are from Chicago, New York or the Bahamas.
Secrets? It definitely helps to know someone, throw some names around, whether it’s the bartender, the promoter or someone random. Talking your way into a party definitely works, but you have to be a good talker.

Name: gabe
Place of Biz: someplace in the grove…
JOB: server/bartender/barback/do whatever I can get my hands on
$50- $60 as a server
$100-$150 behind the bar

Name: shaun gold
Place of Biz: entrepenuer/ “stimulator of the local economy”
for inpack events-utterly exposed

Name: fatboy
Place of Biz: alternative taxi service
Fare He’s Famous For: $20 for a trip to south beach

Background: Fatboy started five years ago and promises a free polaroid picture with every trip, a promise that has helped his service spread among students by word of mouth. Fatboy is a rumor among students and has no formal advertising.
“I let anybody riding in car do anything except for drink-food is okay, smoking is okay, other things (sex), that’s okay. I always like to entertain my patrons too. I try to keep updated with what celebrities are in Miami, remember people’s names who ride with me on a regular basis. Sometimes I bring my dog with me in the car for the ride. Usually I work from around 6 at night to 7:30 or 8 in the morning, sleep most of the day. There are people I drive on a regular basis, some call me at noon three days before to make sure I can take them, and they won’t take any other taxi.”

The HOT List

If it’s not listed here, don’t go-its not worth the money or the wait, no matter what you’ve heard.

Amika 1532 Washington Ave.
Crobar 1445 Washington Ave.
Mansion 1235 Washington Ave.
Nikki Beach One Collins Ave.
Pearl One Collins Ave.
Priv’