CD Review OLD 97s

After a four year hiatus, the Old 97s are back with their sixth record. Drag It Up sees the band in a much more mellow, introspective mood then their previous poppy albums. The Old 97s are a pop rock band from the south with a bit of a country hint.

They kick things off with the relatively upbeat track “Won’t Be Home,” which tells the story of a rough break-up punctuated by the lines, “I’m pulling off the road, I’m opening the door. I’m giving you the pavement, I’m telling you what for. You’re no more than a thought and you’re getting smaller in my rearview mirror.”

At times this album gets a bit too mellow. The track “Blinding Sheets of Rain,” with lyrics like “I love you lost its meaning to shipwrecked fools like me,” is a standard tale of lost love that just sort of drags on.

After a lull in the middle of the album of some well-written (but painfully slow) songs, the vengeful track “New Kid” gives this CD new life. This song is the story of a former new kid who’s bitter at his replacement. “I’m gonna toil away until my judgement day, I will be rewarded for the good that I did.”

“Adelaide” is one of the most solemn but interesting tracks on the album. The lyrics repeatedly appeal to heaven for help with the problems of love and different trials of life. The ironic tale of “Friends Forever,” is about a normal kid who didn’t fit a stereotype, but found out life outside of high school was much different and better.

This is a personal and honest album that will connect to anyone who hasn’t led a picture perfect life.

Matt Dingerdissen can be contacted at m.dingerdissen@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...