BOOK REVIEW The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: A fantastical story that appeals to the mind

Eccentric, interesting, mysterious; three words that describe novelist Mark Haddon’s best seller titled The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Set in England, the novel slowly weaves a tale about a special needs child named Christopher John Francis Boone and his trials with life. Set off by the abrupt and anonymous murder of the neighbor’s dog, Wellington, Christopher begins to play detective. Determined to solve the murder mystery of Wellington, Christopher discovers more than what he originally planned to know by defying his father and speaking to strangers, learning secrets about his past that only affect his future.

The twist of the story becomes somewhat evident midway through the book, however.Christopher’s intricate details about numbers, details and eccentricities are intriguing and unlike other characters in popular novels. Accompanied by his pet rat Toby, Christopher’s discoveries are documented in a book written by himself, providing the reader with added perspectives to the already unusual story.

Remarkably well written, Mark Haddon makes the challenging story of an autistic boy truly come to life within the pages of his novel. Despite the improbability of such a tale, the ease with which the fantasy is written appeals to the mind. Easy to read and delightfully engaging, Haddon’s novel deserves its title of national bestseller.

Joanna Davila can be contacted a j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...