Sports Briefs

Women’s cross-country
University of Miami junior Melanie Schultz recorded her third career victory finishing first at the FIU/Lourdes Invitational Saturday morning at Tropical Park in Miami, Fla.
Schultz won easily completing the two-mile course in 11:22.61. FIU’s Amanda Howard was the next fastest collegian finishing in a time of 11:50.90.
Miami placed second as a team with 44 points. Host FIU won the event with 40 points. Florida Atlantic was third (46 points).
Other Hurricanes running well included senior Marilyn Ruiz who placed ninth and freshman DeeDee Phlatts who finished 10th.

Men’s cross-country
The University of Miami men’s cross country team recorded the top five individual finishes to win the FIU/Lourdes Invitational at Tropical Park for the second consecutive season.
Miami finished with 15 points while host FIU placed second with 57 points. Florida Atlantic took third (87 points).
UM junior Alex Brutvan was the top collegiate finisher completing the 5000-meter course in a time of 16:00.50. Sophomore Tom Berry placed second (16:06.38) with junior James Mullaly placing third (16:28.53).
Sophomores Jon Scheiner and Zach Castiglione rounded out the Hurricane scoring placing fourth and fifth. Scheiner finished in a time of 16:28.81 while Castiglione completed the course in 16:29.20

Volleyball
The University of Miami women’s volleyball team overcame a 2-0 deficit to defeat Cincinnati in four games, 30-28, 28-20, 30-28, 30-20, in their final match of the Furama Hotel Invitational at Gersten Pavilion Saturday evening.
The Hurricanes are now 2-2 on the season after winning one match out of three in the two-day tournament.
Redshirt freshman middle blocker Ciara Michel hit a team-high nine of Miami’s 29 blocks. The total matches UM’s individual match record that has been reached on only three other occasions. Fellow middle blocker sophomore Francheska Savage also matched a career high with six kills.
Senior rightside hitter Valeria Tipiana hit a match-high 25 kills, which matched a career high in four game matches. Junior outside hitter Karla Johnson contributed to the offensive attack with 15 kills and two service aces.
Sophomore setter Jill Robinson continued her steady play, matching a career high 53 assists in four game matches, as well as, setting a new career high with six kills.
Senior Jamie Grass made a team-high 12 digs.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...