News Briefs

Attention broadcast journalism students!

Fox Channel [FNC] has launched the “Fox News Channel College Challenge” competition. Teams of two to four must choose one of 16 selected topics and research, write, produce, and submit an objective broadcast news story. The panel of about four judges will include Emmy award-winning anchor, Jon Scott. Winners will receive a scholarship of $10,000 and an additional $10,000 will be awarded to their respective schools. Along with the scholarship, winners will be invited to appear on FNC to recount their experience and have their names displayed on the Fox News website. To enter, log on to http://www.foxnews.com/collegechallenge no later that Oct. 15, 2004 with tape entries postmarked by Dec. 31. Winners will be contacted personally by April 15, 2005.

Ball State U. residence halls brimming with card sharks

(U-WIRE) MUNCIE, Ind.- While many students like to travel outside of their buildings to find exciting weekend fun, others like to stay in the comfort of their own halls to play countless hours of poker. Not only does poker provide financially struggling students a chance to win some much-needed cash, but it’s also an excellent social event and a great way to meet new people.

“In person I have seen someone lose $300 at one time, and on TV I have seen a person lose around 5 million,” Dusty Bodenmiller said. “I once lost about $100 myself.”

“Playing poker gives students an outlet to meet people that share a common interest and develop friendships that have the potential to be long-lasting,” Brendan Gaff, sophomore, said. “It can help break down barriers between people who don’t know each other by giving them something in common.”

While poker provides many students with an enjoyable pastime, it does have a dark side. Gaff said a major setback of playing poker is that it is highly addictive. When asked if he was addicted to poker, Francis said he was very addicted.

“I think I am going to name my first kid Po Ker,” Francis said.

UM has been chosen as one of only five universities to participate in the CLASS PROJECT Campus Life in America Survey. This prestigious research project of Princeton University is the first of its kind. Check your email for instructions on how to participate in the survey.

Toppel offers a variety of workshops to help you succeed in your job search. All workshops take place in the Toppel Career Library and include job searching on the web, power networking, and resume/cover letter writing. Please visit www.miami.edu/toppel/programs for more information.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...