Napoleon is Dynamite:

Dynamite, Napoleon: Two words and an eccentric name that have been capturing audiences in theaters across the nation. Quirky, simple and completely low-budget, Napoleon Dynamite has been the underdog of the summer movie season amassing a large amount of fans since the film’s release in early June.

Despite production by Fox Searchlight, MTV Films, and Paramount Pictures, the film is very low budget; no pyrotechnics, no fancy cars, no big actors, and frankly, a fairly simple plot line.

The main character, for which the movie is titled, is Napoleon: a tall and lanky red head with big-framed glasses, freckles, and eyes that close when he talks. Listening to Napoleon talk, eyes closed, mouth and lips pursed with his two front teeth barely visible, drool on the edge of spurting forth, sends anyone into a fit of giggles- his pure nature is humorous. Napoleon’s sidekick and best friend Pedro, a short Mexican with the same slow speech and dulled sense of self-esteem completes the perfect duo.

Together, Napoleon and Pedro tackle the conquests of high school, talking to girls, doing well in school, and surviving the embarrassments of family-life. As expected, Napoleon’s family is quite an interesting mix: an adventurous grandmother who loves to ride ATVs and feed her llama, and a brother who is obsessed with a late 80s style computer and his online girlfriend affectionately referred to as “La-fawn-da.”

Completely random and quite plain, Napoleon Dynamite has no edge of your seat plot twists, no surprise endings and no big name artist soundtrack. In fact, the whole movie is accompanied by early 90s double beat elevator music, with a hint of techno for Napoleon’s big dance scene, “I’ve got to dance, I’ve got to boogie….”

Intertwined with a sense of innocence, Napoleon Dynamite is an entertainingly unrefined take on a simple life and sure to please.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...